5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 12:49 PM by DL777

Cannot add space to array

PCC

Hello, Everyone-

I'm very familiar and versed with Intel's RST for creating/maintain RAID arrays (RAID1 always in my case) with the Series 8 (and prior) chipsets but have run into a problem on this Windows 7 64-Bit Pro-based Dell OptiPlex 9020.

The tower shipped with a single 500GB HDD with the OS installed on it (as the C drive).  As is standard, I created a RAID1 array with two 1TB Seagate hybrid HDDs.  First, I simply added the first 1TB drive and fully created the RAID1 array.  Then I removed the 500GB HDD and added the second 1TB HDD and rebuilt the RAID array.  I then used the Intel RST program (12.8 was the version that shipped with the tower, now upgraded to 12.9.0.1001) to add the unallocated space (500GB) to the original 500GB partition thus creating a full 1TB RAID1 array.  Rebooted and everything was fine.

Now the customer wants to upgrade to two 2TB drives instead of the 1TB drives.  So, I did the same thing: replaced the first 1TB drive with a 2TB drive, rebuilt the RAID array, then replaced the second 1TB drive with the second 2TB drive and rebuilt the RAID array again.  Oddly enough, I did NOT need to add the unallocated space (the additional 1TB) to the RAID array in the Intel RST program to get the Intel RST to see the full 2TB of storage space--the RAID array has 1863GB of space allocated to it.  Despite this, the computer does NOT see the full two TB of storage space when looking at the C drive; nor does the Disk Management under Computer Management see the full 2TB of storage space; nor does the Disk Mngmt report any unallocated space for this physical drive (though only 1TB is part of the partition).

What I CAN do, however, is create another RAID1 array in the Intel RST program with the unused terabyte of space.  When doing this, Disk Mngmt sees the second RAID1 array as a second physical drive (i.e. it has its own separate entry).  So, I can get the full 2TB of space used, but not as one combined RAID1 array but rather through two RAID1 arrays.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Is there some kind of limitation I don't know about?  Can I get one 2TB partition out of this scenario?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Cannot add space to array
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the chipset community.

I understand you have swap hard drive for different sizes and available space cannot be added to the array.

In this case, this is expected if this is bootable array. The problem is that the chipset has 2TB limitation per array.

The chipset will handle 2-256 TB volume support (data volumes only)

See the following URL for more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm

Allan.

• 2. Re: Cannot add space to array
            PCC

Hi, Allan-

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are right in that this array is a bootable array.  These two drives are each 2TB and I'm trying for a RAID1 array (so, a total of 2TB of space).  So,

I don't see the problem if 2TB is the limitation, however.

What further thoughts do you have?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Cannot add space to array
              allan_intel

Exactly, two hard drive of 2TB each for RAID 1 bootable, this means the limitation applies in this case. You need two 1TB hard drive size to be able to bypass this limitation.

Allan.

• 4. Re: Cannot add space to array
                PCC

This is the reply I received from another Intel tech which I found helpful.

I understand you have a RAID 1 volume in the system, and you replaced the 1TB hard drives for 2TB hard drives, but the system is not allowing you to use the 2TB.

Since what you have is a RAID 1 volume I recommend resetting both hard drives to non RAID in Intel RST.  In order to reset the hard drives you can select the volume, click on Advanced>>Delete Volume.  The same information will remain in both hard drives since what you have is a RAID 1 volume.  There will not be data loss.

After you reset both hard drives to non RAID please access Disk Management again, and increase the partition to 2TB, once the partition is in 2TB create RAID 1 volume again from Intel RST.

I wasn't able to do this from the Windows-based Intel RST program (and thus I couldn't do this remotely), but I was able to reboot the computer and press CTRL + I during bootup to enter the Intel RAID management screen prior to Windows.  I then deleted the array, accepted the warning, and deleted the RAID1 array.  I did NOT create a new RAID array here.

I rebooted, entered Windows, added the space (i.e. 'extended' the partition with the available space Windows saw right away) through Computer Management->Disk Management screen; and then finally went back to the Windows-based Intel RST program and re-created the RAID1 array there.

So, the 2TB-thing wasn't the problem here apparently.

But, as tech advised me, just be cautious to NOT make the new RAID array in the DOS-looking screen--otherwise you might, indeed, lose all data on the drives.

• 5. Re: Cannot add space to array
                  DL777

I am new to this thread and am also trying to upgrade from a smaller drive (500GB) to a larger one (1TB).  The instructions I found are:

Swap one of the existing drives for the larger one.

Allow to Rebuild

Power off

Remove the remaining smaller drive

Power on and resize the partition.  THIS IS THE AREA THAT IS A PROBLEM FOR ME.

Windows Computer Manager or EASUS Partition Manager do not see any of the extra space on the new drive.  I cannot delete the volume in the Intel RAID Manager application since it is a system disk. When I go into Ctrl I and attempt to Delete the RAID Volume or Reset Disk to Non-RAID it says this will destroy all the data which I do not want to do.

Can anyone help with how to see the extra space without destroying the data.