9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 4:05 PM by claytonstan

Need help producing bootable USB stick

claytonstan

Apologies if this is a repeat but previous seems to have been lost. Have tried all methods I found on the web but when finished putting my win 7 ISO on stick using MS tool, get message failed.Problem may be I only have 32 bit win XP desktop and am trying to build a 64 bit win 7 NUC. However did try a win 8 laptop but that failed as well.

• 1. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
          Hannes

You can download the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a bootable Win 7 or win 8 thumb drive. It's available here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

I've found this to be the easiest way to create a bootable thumb drive.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
            claytonstan

Thanks to you I went back to microsoft store. Previously the tool failed. I redownloaded and again it failed. But this time I read the help more carefully. Bootsect.exe was the problem.One of the MS suggestions was a third party tool to fix this but I did not want to try that. Finally I realized that the bootsect.exe I need is available on a downloadable 32-bit Win7 ISO from an official MS distribution site. I finally got this version of bootsect.exe and again it failed. Some dozens of web pages later I came across a suggestion to just run bootsect manually. And with the right parameters (clearly explained not on an MS page) it reported success. Am not out of the woods yet because I do not know if it will boot until I get my NUC kit. Previous kit was returned when I burned up my grace test period on this issue. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
              MRE

I had similar problems. Apparently, one can only create a bootable USB of a distribution on the same version. I.e., create a USB with W7, you need to run the program on W7, similarly, to create W8, you need a W8 machine.

• 4. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
                stuntz0rZ

send me a message. i will get you a flash drive

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
                  Hannes

You can create a bootable Win 7 / 8 / 8.1 USB thumb drive from any of these operating systems. For example, you can create a bootable Win 8.1 thumb drive from Win 7. I do this constantly.

If you want to do this manually, use this procedure:

Run diskpart.

From within diskpart, run these commands:

list disk (note which disk the thumb drive is. In this example, I'll assume disk 2).
                  select disk 2
                  clean
                  create partition primary
                  active
                  format fs=fat32 quick (Note: It's important to use FAT32. Some systems, especially UEFI based, will not boot from an NTFS thumb drive)
                  assign
                  exit

At this point copy ALL files from your Windows ISO to the thumb drive. The drive should be bootable.

Tip: If you are running Windows 8 / 8.1, you can open the ISO directly from within Windows and copy the contents to the thumb drive. On Windows 7, use some utility to extract the contents from the ISO and copy them to the thumb drive. I find that current versions of WinZIP work well.

• 6. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
                    MRE

Just to be clear... My point for using the same OS for creating a USB on was with the MS tool. Of course, the manual method you described always works...

• 7. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
                      claytonstan

Thanks. Really appreciate your offer. It will be 2 weeks before I can back to my NUC project. Then if the USB stick I created fails, I will get back to you.

• 8. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
                        claytonstan

I did run diskpart. However my USB stick does not show up in the diskpart listing. I read on the web that diskpart (at least on 32 bit XP?) does not list removable disks. There is a command list volume and that does show the USB stick. Proceeding with select volume and continuing as suggested eventually I got back to square one (MS USB DVD utility failed to run bootsect). At that point I did not know if the problem was somehow list disk vs list volume. However (after getting the failure message) I managed to get a successful outcome by running bootsect manually; I copied it from the 32 bit win7 iso I downloaded, onto my 32 bit XP system. My goal is a 64 bit win 7 installation for which I have an MS win 7 installation DVD.  It will be 2 weeks before I can get back to my NUC project and will find out then is the USB stick I produced will actually work.

• 9. Re: Need help producing bootable USB stick
                          claytonstan

This did work and I was able to get my D34010WYKH up and running. Thanks to all who offered to help. As I was building system I ran into a glitch or two. Main one was not knowing about unlocking zip files in win7.1. Seemed to only be a problem on one of the drivers.