8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2014 8:07 AM by ande4905

Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)

ande4905

Basically the event history always says "0 seconds no updates processed", it looks like updates are processed even so when I wake the computer to use it though. This started after I rolled back to a previous BIOS to test something else, now even back to the latest BIOS the weird event history bug remains.

Also it might wake up by timer outside of the schedule. It should be waking up in the default schedule. I've seen it wake once or twice outside of when it should (at least evidently less frequently outside of the schedule).

You can see the wake event by timer at 1:15 AM, the default schedule ends at 10:00 PM and starts again at 6:00 AM.

The computer might also wake then not go back to sleep even by the power scheme's sleep timer.

ISC_event history.JPG

• 1. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
          allan_intel

Thanks for coming back to the community.

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
            zwang94

ande4905,

It is strange that it says 0 seconds for the duration. This is the time that system has been awake. Can you send the log file in c:\programdata\intel\isct\ISCTLog.txt to zhongsheng.wang@intel.com?

The message "No update processed" might be normal depending on what is happening at the time.

Thanks,

zhongsheng

• 3. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
              ande4905

Today (in the same fashion I used to revert from 1.6 back to v1.8B1) I uninstalled ME, Smart Connect, and Rapid Start, shut down, reset BIOS, installed BIOS v1.7, recalibrated my BIOS settings. After my thorough software reset operation, next when I put my computer into sleep mode it correctly initiated and completed the sleep modes, transitions, and data transfers as I would desire including accurate event history.

I'm excited about that (one successful moment) but I'm far from satisfied. Until I see these features behave that way as they're intended to, well indefinitely and reliably as all software should be.

I am going to actively struggle with these aforementioned bugs as well as this one What OS processes will cause intel rapid start/smart connect to wake up? as any software testing goes until I see it behave predictably to my satisfaction.

I appreciate the help looking at these bugs.

• 4. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
                ande4905

I've been troubleshooting these bugs like this months. I haven't seen these features behave bug free all along.

MSI claims to be trying to resolve some bugs related to Intel Rapid Start according to recent two post to their forums #16, #17.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=169943.0

• 5. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
                  zwang94

I am glad that Smart Connect Technology is working for you now. I have to let you know that Smart Connect Technology enabling is very complicated. We have to rely on OEM to implement the technology on their platform correctly. There is no certification program to ensure the correct OEM implementation though.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the link. If there is any particular issue you would like us to track down, please let us know. I can ask our AE to talk with MSI.

Thanks,

zhongsheng

• 6. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
                    ande4905

The computer wakes right back up after entering suspend mode very often (at least 90% of the time). After it wakes up the proceeding time I use the sleep button it will usually stay in suspend mode as it's supposed to. I'm using Intel Smart Connect, Rapid Start, Rapid Storage.

That is a primary problem I've been troubleshooting a while, and the paradigm in the forum I created here What OS processes will cause intel rapid start/smart connect to wake up? If I was going to ask about a specific issue that's it right now. It seems out of my control and a BIOS bug as you mentioned.

This bug looks like the 02. Fix Intel (R) Rapid Start Technology function fail. as mentioned at the bottom of this page on the MSI forums. That bug could also be the fact that Rapid Start doesn't work at all if any overclock settings on the motherboard are activated including XMP profile, or a combination of these two bugs.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=169943.0

I'm currently testing if the Rapid Storage partition size is interfering with Rapid Start because both partitions are on the same SSD.

Conclusion: this whole waking up immediately after Intel Rapid Start goes into suspend mode very often in the Smart Connect history it says OS initiated is definitely a bug. It seems it goes into suspend mode correctly the first time after a reboot, then if I wake the computer from suspend mode, use the computer a few minutes, then attempt to put it into suspend mode again, this bug occurs. The subsequent time I attempt to put it into suspend mode it most likely will go into suspend mode correctly, then Smart Connect might not work. (this is the best bug report I can do in short notice, I'm continuing to test) For all I know at this point it could be the display driver.

board BIOS forum.JPG

• 7. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
                      ande4905

The computer woke by timer at 1:30 AM outside of the schedule, then didn't transition back to sleep mode. It was stuck just as the bug I described above in the original post.

I generated a report of this log below then sent it to zwang94 e-mail, thanks.

smart connect history.JPG

• 8. Re: Intel Smart Connect Bugs (event history, and wake schedule)
                        ande4905

On the same subject my computer tends unpredictably to refuse to enter the sleep state (S3, or S4) again after it has woke in error because of the OS initiated wake event I am trying to analyze.