Most of the times when this happens is because the antennas are disconnected.
Perhaps there is a problem with the TCP/IP stack. Try resetting it.
Besides that, there are other rare possibilities; I would make sure the wireless mode has not changed (default: 802.11a/b/g) in the adapter properties or that the only AP around you has the SSID hidden. Considering that these scenarios would be rare to find, I suggest using Intel® PROSet’s Manual Diagnostic Tool.
Thanks for the answer. I tried what you told me and nothing worked.
I checked the wireless mode for the adapter and it was default, tried every band manually and no success.
The thing is I have more than one notebook (W530) available here which uses the same wifi adapter, and they work just fine but all of them are on windows 7.
I have 10 wifi networks near me that are detected by any other device with wireless capabilities.
I will probably try a windows repair and if it's still having issues I will go for win 7.
I will also give it a try with a live ubuntu just to see if the adapter is behaving properly with other os.
LE: Tried bootable ubuntu from stick, working like a charm. So the issue is not on the antennas or any physical component, the issue seems to be either with the driver either with some bad stuff going in windows (which I lean to)
Anyway probably this week if I find the time I'll give it a try to repair w8.1 and see how that goes.