Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless N not an option for N-7260?

JAdam21
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm looking at the configs for my wireless N-7260 in the adapter's properties in Windows 8.1 and under Wireless Mode, 802.11n isn't an option. b, g, and b/g are there, just not n.

I've updated to the latest drivers today as well but to no avail.

Any suggestions or assistance would be truly appreciated!

Thanks Intel community!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
tvete
Valued Contributor II

802.11n is called HT mode for 7260. The "Wireless Mode" actually functions as disabling one of the bands. By selecting a/b/g or a/g, you enable both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands but your 7260 won't be able to establish connectivity with 802.11b protocol if you select a/g. Selecting a only results to 2.4 Ghz being disabled and selecting any other options without the "a" will disable the 5 GHz band.

Hope this helps. To show if you are connected to wireless N, go to command prompt and type this code

netsh wlan show interfaces

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

802.11n is called HT mode for 7260. The "Wireless Mode" actually functions as disabling one of the bands. By selecting a/b/g or a/g, you enable both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands but your 7260 won't be able to establish connectivity with 802.11b protocol if you select a/g. Selecting a only results to 2.4 Ghz being disabled and selecting any other options without the "a" will disable the 5 GHz band.

Hope this helps. To show if you are connected to wireless N, go to command prompt and type this code

netsh wlan show interfaces

JAdam21
Beginner

Thanks theveterans!! I forgot to mention that I only have the single-band version, so I believe I'm only able to connect using the 2.4gHz band.

I ran the command you suggested and it does show Wireless N as the radio type so I'm assuming I am connected using N then, correct?

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Yep. Anything larger than 54 Mbps is guaranteed N connection. Cheers!

0 Kudos
JAdam21
Beginner
0 Kudos