2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 10:44 AM by allan_intel

NUC internal power connector

uutzinger

How does the internal power connector of the Intel NUC D54250WYK work?

When I connect the external power supply I measure 19V over the two pins of the internal power supply connector.

When I disconnect the external power supply and connect a regulated laboratory power supply with 19V on the internal connector, the device does not boot.

To enable the internal connector, do I need to insert a dummy plug into the external connector to engage a switch?

The ultimate goal is to connect a lithium ion battery to the internal connector and for that I will need to test whether the system can run between 12 and 24V as stated in the manual. But so far I can not get the system to run on the internal power connector at all.

Urs

• 1. Re: NUC internal power connector
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the community.

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

• 2. Re: NUC internal power connector
            allan_intel

Thank you for your patience, the following is the response from our engineering department:

The external 12-19 V DC jack is the primary power input connector of Intel NUC Board D54250WYB and Intel NUC Board D34010WYB. However, the board also provides an internal 1 x 2 power connector that can be used in custom-developed systems that have an internal power supply. The internal 1 x 2 power connector is a Molex 5566-2 header which accepts a Molex 5557-02R connector from the power supply.

There is no isolation circuitry between the external 12-19 V DC jack and the internal 1 x 2 power connector. It is the system integrator’s responsibility to ensure no more than one power supply unit is or can be attached to the board at any time and to ensure the external 12-19 V DC jack is covered if the internal 1 x 2 power connector is to be used. Simultaneous connection of both external and internal power supply units could result in potential damage to the board, power supplies, or other hardware.

There’s nothing special required to use the internal one. Should just work. At this point, engineering will need the model number and specifications about the PSU you are trying to use on the internal header.

Allan.