cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration partially completed, then migration software doesn't recognize the Intel SSD drive

AMorr6
New Contributor II

I am trying to do a data migration so that I can use my newly purchased Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD as a system drive. The target machine is a new Dell Precision M6800 laptop with Windows 8.1 on a Seagate 500GB HDD. I connected the SSD to a USB 3.0 port using a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE hard drive adapter. On first run of the Data Migration software, I got some dialogs and went through them, then a progress bar was displayed. Since this was taking a while, I went to do other things. When I came back, the machine was booted to the desktop. I didn't know if the operation had completed, so I brought up the Data Migration Software again, but this time it says "Please connect Intel SSD drive" and won't let me go any further. If I look at 'Device Manager->Disk Drives', only the HDD is listed. If I bring up a command window and run diskpart, the 'list disk' command shows only one drive - the HDD. Intel support suggested that I try a low level format of the SSD, but if this system doesn't recognize that there's a drive there I don't see how this will work. Any suggestions?@

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AMorr6
New Contributor II

It turns out that the power cord to the Sabrent drive adapter was slightly unseated - I must have bumped during the migration and lost connectivity. Re-seating it properly caused everything to go as expected. And my new 730 is blazing fast!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AMorr6
New Contributor II

It turns out that the power cord to the Sabrent drive adapter was slightly unseated - I must have bumped during the migration and lost connectivity. Re-seating it properly caused everything to go as expected. And my new 730 is blazing fast!

Hi AlanE,

I'm glad it was something simple and that the SSD is performing well.

Is it OK if I mark this thread as answered?

AMorr6
New Contributor II

Yes, absolutely.