2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 1:28 PM by sylvia_intel

Constant hum from D54250WYK3 when connected to AV receiver

ArbitRabbit

Hi All

I have a weird sound issue with my D54250WYK3, which I bought to use it as HTPC. I have the NUC connected via HDMI cable to my Onkyo TX-NR609 AV receiver, which in turn is connected to two Tannoy floor standers and a subwoofer. As soon as I connect the HDMI cable to my receiver, I get a constant hum from the floorstanders. This becomes much worse when I start a video (or move the cursor or scroll), so much so that at night I can't really listen to anything on low volume. Searching on this forum, it sounded like a ground loop but I have the AV receiver and the NUC both connected from the same power outlet -  I have tried many other outlets too but the result is the same, so I believe it is an isolation issue within the NUC. The hum is especially bad when I output a Dolby or DTS signal over the HDMI.

So does anyone else have the same issue - is it a design issue or do I have a faulty unit? Also, any other suggestions about what I can try?

• 1. Re: Constant hum from D54250WYK3 when connected to AV receiver
          ArbitRabbit

P.S - I am on latest bios and latest drivers, and running Windows 8.1, Ethernet (So no wireless) if that makes any difference.

Here is also the link to the sound that my speakers make with Dolby passthrough on. This only happens with NUC. With my old HTPC that hooked to the same setup over s/pdif, I never had this issue.

• 2. Re: Constant hum from D54250WYK3 when connected to AV receiver
            sylvia_intel

Daneel3001, we always recommend customers to use straight connection. In your case, the Onkyo TX-NR609 AV receiver is working as an adapter. That could be the reason of the behavior you are getting when it is between the NUC and the TV.

We tried to make as many third party components compatible as possible, but do to the sheer quantity of these third party components we cannot always guarantee compatibility.

Are you getting this sound when using straight connection?

Please try using another HDMI cable 1.4a in order to test if it could be defective.