Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HDMI connected external laptop monitor cycles between being recognized and not

PPiko
Novice

I am having problems trying to connect an external computer monitor to my AO756 Acer Aspire One laptop.

I have been able to do it successfully only twice. Here is what happens now when I try to connect using HDMI:

When the computer boots up, the HDMI connected monitor shows the Acer BIOS splash screen and the "Starting Windows" splash screen. But when the log in screen comes up, it will not show on the HDMI monitor. The monitor changes and shows "No signal".

When I log in and go to the Intel Graphics Control Panel, or the Device Manager, I can see that the monitor shows up briefly as recognized and then disappears and then shows up again in a repeating cycle. There is also a warning beep for when it is recognized and then drops off again.

Another clue is that when it was working, my sound system showed that the monitor was available as a speaker system and my monitor has no sound. I removed the sound device and it hasn't show up since.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PPiko
Novice

Here is what happened.

I remembered that during the first time I was able to successfully install the external HDMI monitor was when I had another second monitor installed as the VGA external monitor. So my hope was for a dual external monitor arrangement from my laptop and I was very impressed that this was possible.

So I tried going back to the other external VGA monitor an old HP f70 and it worked! I was able to successfully hook up the HDMI monitor and the f70 to the laptop. The VGA monitor that was not cooperating with the HDMI was Samsung SyncMaster 931b. I had also been using this Samsung to connnect to a DVI port on a desktop and so it had two connected cables, the DVI and a VGA to the laptop. I tried disconnecting the DVI cable and connecting the VGA and the HDMI monitor to the laptop and it worked. The HDMI monitor was displaying.

So I went to Samsung and got the drivers for this monitor and I find that when install the drivers, you have the option of installing a digital monitor or an analog monitor. Since I was only going to use the VGA connection, I chose the analog. After installing the driver for the Samsung, I was able to hookup both the DVI cable and the VGA cable to the Samsung and still be able to display on the HDMI monitor.

So the solution was to install the drivers for the analog port of the Samsung monitor. That would have done it. I suppose I should have suspected the two cables coming of the Samsung monitor might have effected things

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Glad you got this computer working with external monitor. Thanks for joining the community and sharing the post.

Allan.

PPiko
Novice

Unfortunately, the problem has returned. Now, not only can I not connect the HDMI monitor in combination with the Samsung, but I also cannot connect the HDMI monitor in combination with the f70 either. It is almost like the laptop is learning how not to connect a VGA monitor in combination with the HDMI monitor.

0 Kudos
PPiko
Novice

Yes, I have been working with Intel support and they had me upgrade the drivers for the Intel chipset, the Intel graphics driver and the BIOS. At first nothing happened. But when I ran the upgraded graphics drivers, then I got results. So don't just install the graphics driver upgrade, also run it once too. Except for the problem briefly returning when the display goes off for energy saving, the problem is SOLVED.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Glad you got help in the forums. Thanks for joining the community and sharing the post.

Allan.

0 Kudos