3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 10:04 PM by doctorwho8

Cannot find /lib/firmware for wifi driver install

rtyard

I'm trying to follow Intel Galileo Meets Wireless - Malinov Family Web Presence for adding wifi driver for Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 to Galileo SD card, but for some reason it appears that /lib/firmware directory does not exist on my sd card. There is a /lib that contains other sub-directories, but no 'firmware' sub-directory. I cannot find it looking through Linux command line on the Galileo, and cannot see any such folder looking at the SD card contents in Windows 8. My SD card full image seems to be working though because I am able to run Python in command line. What am I missing, or what did I do wrong?

• 1. Re: Cannot find /lib/firmware for wifi driver install
          gustafn

The instructions are: (1) copy the firmware (.tgz) to the SD card (e.g. to the root directory of the SD-card), (2) boot the galileo from this SD card, (3) expand the .tgz file from the SD card to e.g. /tmp, and (4) copy the firmware with:

root@clanton:/tmp# cp iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-18.168.6.1/iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode /lib/firmware/

/lib/firmware is a directory on the galileo.

• 2. Re: Cannot find /lib/firmware for wifi driver install
            rtyard

Thanks for the summary, but I had already understood the instructions. Since it wasn't working I just figured there was something wrong with my sd card, and so wondered if perhaps it was because the 'firmware' directory did not exist in my SD card. The actual problem was that I had a typo in the copy line, which is why I got an error every time I tried. Problem resolved.

• 3. Re: Cannot find /lib/firmware for wifi driver install
              doctorwho8

Hello!

Please feel free to laugh or to call the whole thing annoying but.... I followed the instructions on that website, and then followed the group on what card to buy, who is this fine fellow:

Intel 6200 IEEE 802.11n (draft) Wi-Fi Adapter - Mini PCI Express - 300Mbps bought it from an Amazon vendor last week. And then on the same day bought this antenna pair:

Tyco Wifi & Bluetooth Antenna and also this thing

Half to Full Height Mini PCI Express(PCI-E) Card Bracket Adapter needed since the card was a half-height job. I also bought this cable (for two reasons, one not applicable in here)

Bargain Cable-DB9 Female to 3.5mm Serial Cable 6Ft I figured that with this board I would need some methods of seeing what it is doing when not otherwise working. Its also useful when running the stuff from Windows On Devices.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the card. However research for getting Linux to work in this laptop and further work on the Galileo board confirmed that I would need to update the firmware.

Where did you obtain the firmware for your card? I glommed mine from http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi oddly enough it was easier to find things for the card on the board, then for the laptop. I then followed the further instructions in this thread, and then found where the compressed file was found. I copied it over to the tmp directory. Then I extracted it in there, inside the directory I copied the microcode file over to the firmware directory. Once I was sure it was in place, I promptly rebooted the card. I then saw this in the PuTTY screen:

[   22.810698] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG disabled

[   22.816676] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUGFS disabled

[   22.822913] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEVICE_TRACING disabled

[   22.829669] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEVICE_TESTMODE disabled

[   22.836568] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_P2P enabled

[   22.842346] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN, REV=0x74

[   22.874310] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: L1 Disabled; Enabling L0S

Starting galileod

Stopping Bootlog daemon: bootlogd.

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton /dev/ttyS1

clanton login: [   28.541611] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: L1 Disabled; Enabling L0S

[   28.554585] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Radio type=0x1-0x3-0x1

[   28.931061] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: L1 Disabled; Enabling L0S

[   28.944074] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Radio type=0x1-0x3-0x1

[   29.178808] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton /dev/ttyS1

clanton login: root

root@clanton:~# iwconfig

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"Cisco30489"

Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=15 dBm

Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:off

Power Management:off

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

root@clanton:~#

So there you go. It should be almost as easy as teaching Tux to work Wireless on regular systems.