3 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2014 4:18 AM by Steven100

new Intel Build

SpiderKenny

I'm not 100% sire if this is new or not, but I have been watching the IoT ADT page for some time, and only 2 days ago noticed these instructions (pdf) for building yocto and installing packages.

The instructions there give you a full developers build with lots of nice IoT stuff thrown in too, including full eglibc build environment, debuggers etc and lighttpd web server. It boots very quickly and shutdown in just 3 seconds! Looks like a nice build.

You need a Linux workstation or VM to do the build (I used Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit) and burn it to SD card. On my VM which is running inside VMWare Fusion on a mac, with just 1 Processor core allocated to it, it took about 8 Hours to do the build, which complete with no errors.

If you don't have a linux workstation, or VM, then I will be making the SD Card image available from my blog today too, so you can skip the build and go straight for the SD Card image.

This particular build includes the opkg lightweight package manager and includes access to intel's iotdk.intel.com package repository.

I don't know if it support arduino sketches, though. Someone else may like to test that?

• 1. Re: new Intel Build
          Steven100

Hi SpiderKenny,

Its good to see that you have been watching the IoT ADT page.

Would you mind if I asked you a simple question? to follow the IoT developers kit getting started guide, what is the SD card (200MB zipped) file for?

ss.png

thanks

• 2. Re: new Intel Build
            SpiderKenny

Hi Steven100

The SD Card (200 MB) file is a binary image of the contents of the SD Card you need to boot Galileo, if you are using the IoT dev kit.

BY starting a Linux workstation with the Debuian Live USB image, and booting Galileo from the SD Card image you have a development environment where you can develop using Eclipse on a PC (running the Debian Image) and have the code automatically installed onto Galileo. You can even use the PC to debug code live on Galileo. In other words you type all your code into eclipse on the PC, then you can step through the code one line at a time while it is actually running on Galileo.

It's a bit like the Arduino ide, except you are writing native Linux code, not arduino code.

• 3. Re: new Intel Build
              Steven100

Hi SpiderKenny,

Thanks for explaining that, appreciate it.

Stev