Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Intel HD4600 keeps reseting the setup with multiple monitors

DBene2
Beginner

Hi All,

Our company bought a number of Dell precision M4800 laptops and we are Win8.1 Enterprise on them. The only problem we have is in using the Intel graphic card (HD4600) with multiple monitors.

When there is 1 or more monitors attached, regardless of the cable used (tried DSub, Display port and HDMI) so any subsequent change to the graphical/display settings in Windows (like monitor's layout or resolution, main monitor settings) is not applied. In fact what happens is that the settings applied and is OK, but after aprox. 5 seconds everything returns back to default. This is especially annoying when we need to set monitors' layout.

I have already tried to uninstall everything what could cause this (which includes the AMD card) but nothing helped so far.

I would appreciate any ideas.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBene2
Beginner

One small addition, when I turn off intel card in bios (i.e. turn off switchable graphic card) and keep using only the one from AMD problem does not occur anymore.

However this is just a temporary solution because I would like to keep using the intel card, especially when I am only on battery.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the community.

I understand you have multi monitor configuration but resets no matter of the video cable you try.

At this stage, let's check if you already tried with the latest video drivers available here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&ProdId=3720&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&ProdId=3720&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

Please filter by operating system version and try to install the driver when it finishes downloading, to verify that your system will accept it.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Baxik, Have you tried the latest drivers provided by Dell? With Switchable Graphics systems is is very important to use the drivers provided by the system OEM as they may have various customizations specific to that system. When installing graphics drivers on a Switchable Graphics system, be sure to install the Intel HD Graphics drivers first and then install the AMD drivers. I would also check to make sure you have the latest SBIOS they have available for the M4800.

Also, have you contacted Dell about the issue? They may be aware of the issue and have a resolution.

For the M4800 drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-m4800-workstation/drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-m4800-workstation/drivers

Thanks

Robert

DBene2
Beginner

Hi guys,

Thank you a lot for the information.

@Allan - I tried the drivers from the link you gave me, selected right OS etc. but it says, supplied, but I get an error about incompatibility of the driver with the manufacturer (probably dell has made some changes to the original one), but thank you anyway.

@Robert - Last week I sent the ticket to Dell as well and waiting for their answer. So far, I was using Dell system update utility which downloaded the latest video driver of the same version you provided me the link for (both versions are 10.18.10.3277). Nevertheless, I downloaded the driver manually from the link you provided me and after restarting it seems to be working.

However, I had this state before that it worked for a few days and then it started doing the same mess. I will test it till the end of the week and update you then. Hopefully this is the solution and the problem was to perform the update over that Dell update utility.

Thank you very much for your help and I will let you know at the end of the week (and mark the answer).

0 Kudos
DBene2
Beginner

Hi all,

Today, after resuming of the notebook from a sleep state I had a screen blink and it does again the same. Whenever I try to do any setup to the video, it is applied but after aprox. 3 seconds the settings is reset again to the default so I am unable to change anything in the display settings again.

I am also still waiting for the response from DELL support.

If you have any further ideas, i would appreciate them very much.

0 Kudos