Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Black bar on right side of screen after Windows 8.1 update

ADrea
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I hope all is well. Last week after I uninstalled a program(Android Studio), I was prompted to restart my computer(Windows 8.1, 64 bit), which I did. After the restart though a black bar appeared on the right side of my screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphic driver (Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000) I tried scaling options and nothing worked.

I finally did an online chat with one of the support guys from Intel and he had me: Go to Programs and Features>>Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Driver>>Restart the computer>>Then reinstall the driver. This fixed the issue and all was fine until today.

Today I got a Windows Update(Windows 8.1 Update for x64 based Systems(KB2919355) and was prompted to restart the computer afterwards. After the restart the black bar has reappeared! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling like the previous intel guy told me to do multiple times and nothing is working. Please how do I fix this problem?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ AzureDreams, could you please post a screen shot of the black bar issue?

0 Kudos
ADrea
Beginner

I have tried but the black bar does not show up when I print screen and paste to paint and its hard to capture it on phone camera as well.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ AzureDreams, is your system BIOS up to date? What connection do you have to your display?
0 Kudos
ADrea
Beginner

Bios are up to date. It is my laptop computer. Hp Pavillion g6 notebook

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Have you tried using the HP specific drivers available here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5118781 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5118781

Be sure to use Device Manager to remove the existing drivers and files before installing the HP supplied drivers.

0 Kudos
ADrea
Beginner

Here is the actual laptop I have :http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5309531&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5309531&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us Should I try installing AMD driver instead even though my main driver was intel?

When the first Intel support guy helped me. When i uninstalled the intel graphics driver from the laptop my resolution went back to normal and the black bar was gone after i restarted the lap top. The laptop was then running on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I then re installed the intel driver from the link the support guy provided and everything was perfect again. Now however when I uninstall the driver the black bar remains even after the restart even on Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

I have tried uninstalling the intel driver >>>restart computer>>boot into safe mode>use cc cleaner to make sure everything was cleared out of registry>>> re install the intel driver from both hp and this intel site and nothing works no matter how many times i uninstall/re install.

I have tried taking a picture with my phone. You can kinda see the black bar to the right if you look hard enough:

I tried to capture the image using print screen and paint but the bar does not show up when i paste it into paint.

0 Kudos
ADrea
Beginner

Ok, I tried that link and the bar is still here. now I get I got the error message this time saying the computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. If i try to install the hp driver after uninstalliing current intel driver. I get that aforementioned error message.

0 Kudos
ADrea
Beginner

I tried going into both safe mode and the laptop bios and the black bar is still there. This most likely means it is a hardware issue. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

I believe you are correct. Hopefully your warrantee is still in effect.

0 Kudos