7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 1:28 PM by sylvia_intel

D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely

Micah_

Hi all,

I have a HP TSGH-IR02 windows remote control as recommended by these forums.  Using this remote and Windows 8.1 on my NUC D54250WYK, only a few of the buttons work (power, volume, arrows, and occasionally OK).  Most of the buttons, especially critical buttons like the Windows Start Menu button (right in the center of the remote) do not work.  My NUC does not react to them however I can see the remote is transmitting the signals because of the blinking LED.  I have installed the most recent Nuvoton CIR device driver for my model from the intel website and can see it functioning properly via device manager.  I also am on the most recent version of the BIOS.

I would like to know how to get all the buttons working on my remote, especially the Start Menu Button.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
          sylvia_intel

Hello Micah, I’m sorry to hear you are having issues with your NUC and the control remote, however that I would recommend you, is to contact HP for support.

The remote control is working as expected in the NUC, but since some buttons are not working you can check if the control needs a firmware update or it might be defective.

If you want you can update to the latest BIOS version available.

• 2. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
            Micah_

Hello Sylvia,

Thank you for the response!  However, since this remote is new, it is most likely not the problem.  These remotes also do not provide a way to update their internal FW.  These are basic Windows commands that should work.  It is the same as pressing the start button on a keyboard (which does work on my keyboard).  The problem appears to be either with Windows 8.1 reacting to the command, or the NUC.  I need a way to trouble shoot this since HP would not be able to provide assistance.  And I am currently on the most recent BIOS for my NUC.

Have you been able to use the test remote you guys at Intel validated (the TSGH-IR02) with the start command on a NUC and Windows 8.1?

• 3. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
              Micah_

Hi Sylvia,

Could you please respond to my most recent questions above?  I'm sure this will greatly assist other people as well.

Micah

• 4. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
                sylvia_intel

I will try to set up this lab again tomorrow in order to test the control remote again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
                  sylvia_intel

Hi Micah, I was finally able to set up the lab and tested the remote control on the NUC.

I would like to inform you my findings.

• I was able to turn off and on the NUC using the remote control.
                  • Manually I have had to access my music, but using the remote control I was able to use “play button”, “stop” ,  “pause”, etc.

So in my case, I think it is working fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
                    Micah_

HI Sylvia,

Thank you for your support and looking into it!  I think you have confirmed with your further experimentation what I have come to learn as well through some of my own additional experimentation and more research.  I will try to document here in brief for others who may have similiar questions.

I too, was able to turn off/on the NUC with the remote.  Volume and Mute also worked.  I too had to manually start my music/video player, but play/pause/stop worked once open.  However, the other many buttons on the remote were either intermittenly working, or not working at all.  It turns out that out of the box windows OS only responds to a few of the commands from a RC6 compliant remote (these are remotes that are designed to work with Windows Media Center (MCE)  ).  I had assumed that since this was a windows remote, all the commands would do something out of the box.  But, you need to run a program that will respond to those commands, such as Windows Media Center.  The Green Start Button I had been referring to earlier in my posts was actually a special windows command that would start MCE.  Since my Windows 8.1 Pro does not have MCE installed, Windows does not respond to the command.

I have since installed XBMC and can navigate fully with the TSGH-IR02 remote without any issues and all the buttons that need to work are working reliably to fully navigate the program.  You do have to play with it a bit to figure out which buttons do what, but once you figure it out it works good.  The Green Windows button still does nothing however.

The only thing left to do is figure out a way to get Windows 8.1 to respond to the Windows Green button (in my case to get it to start XBMC).  This will require some custom settings.  I have not implemented yet, but I found this guide on the XBMC wiki:

Using an MCE remote control in Windows - XBMC

This will help in getting RC6 compliant MCE remotes working with XBMC.

Micah

• 7. Re: D54250WYK Win8.1 and  TSGH-IR02 Not Working Completely
                      sylvia_intel

Perfect Micah! I'm glad to know it is working as you expected.