Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Windows7 ntvdm.exe problem with 4th generation Intel processors

SAout
Beginner

Hello everyone,

We are experiencing strange behavior with several brand new computers running windows7 and equpped wit 4th generation Intel processors.

We can reproduce it easily, and have done tests with 4010U, 4340 i3 and 4200U i5...

Actually, everything works fine, except the first run of ntvdm.exe that takes between 5 and 10 seconds before being executed, using 25% of cpu during this time.

If you open a cmd window and try to execute little things as "mem.exe" or "edit.exe", it stays like dead during 10 sec then run the command, if you keep the window open and relaunch the same 16bits application or another one, it's working fine.

Open another cmd window and the first launch is slow.

We don't have the problem on computers running windows 8.

We have tried many things from days but without success until now.

I've posted this in processors section because of another constatation : if you install a graphic card in the computer, the problem doesn't appear !

So for towers machines, we can turnaround but not that easy with laptops (toshiba tecra Z50) or NUC...

So, only the old programs using ntvdm are affected and after a little patience they do will work but it's a bit annoying to tell a customer that their brand new computer is slower that the odl one it replace to launch old (and light) programs...

If anyone can help, thanks already !

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It seems that we have not validated 16-bit applications with 4th generation Intel® Core processors; so, they may or may not work.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032468.htm Intel® Core&# 153; i5 Desktop Processor — Intel® Core&# 153; i5 Desktop Processor frequently asked questions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello SebA, I am not familiar with the program you are trying to run but I believe it is a software issue since you do not experience it in Windows* 8.

I may suggest instead other means for troubleshooting, such as:

Furthermore, I would like to ask: is this a clean Windows* installation or a restored image?

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
BRich10
Novice

Snap!

We appear to be getting the same issue. Unfortunately nothing Joe suggested helped.

The issue does appear to have a direct relationship with the CPU type/family.

Desperately seeking a solution!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

…if you install a graphic card in the computer, the problem doesn't appear !

Could this is be a driver issue? Or does the issue happen with different Intel® HD Graphics driver versions or even with Microsoft*'s inbox driver?

You may also try using the options from the Compatibility tab in the Properties window or "Run as administrator"

0 Kudos
KVanN
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I've got the same problem. 5 to 10 seconds for ntvdm to start up. I5-processor 4th generation. No problem on other pc's with other processors.

Searching for a solution...

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Did you try contacting Microsoft* about this? Perhaps they know something we don't.

0 Kudos
SAout
Beginner

Hello everyone,

No solutions seem to appear with our tests...

I've tried yesterday with an Asus Q87T motherboard eqquipped with a i3 4340 in a "all in one" and the problem does occur, brand new PC, clean install from scratch...

Found a disussion on Microsoft technet for the same issue : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/f4882880-d9eb-4ab0-bfca-e592b27fb86e/ntvdm-slow-startup?forum=w7itproappcompat&prof=required ntvdm slow startup

0 Kudos
KVanN
Beginner

He there,

I installed a graphics card as SebA suggested and the problem doesn't occur anymore. A solution, but an expensive one ...

@

0 Kudos
SAout
Beginner

Hi,

That solution is not only expensive, but it is not always possible, we heve that problem with notebook and NUC as well...

0 Kudos
BRich10
Novice

Our problem is the machines are "All in ones", so like SebA this isn't a solution.

Interesting that the problem appears to be related to the graphics though.

I have opened a case with Microsoft as Joe suggested.

0 Kudos
MLuot
Beginner

I'm seeing exactly the same problem with brand new DELL Latitude E6540, Win7/32bit, i5-4300M laptop.

Any information of solutions/workarounds highly appreciated.
0 Kudos
STorr3
Beginner

First post here, I've been wrestling with this issue on and off for the last couple of weeks. Can't tell you how happy I am to finally find people with the same issue.

We have two desktops with i5-4670K and Intel HD Graphics 4600 that are having this issue. There are at least 6 other machines here on the same Win 7 32-bit OS that ntvdm runs fine on. Just these two are the problems.

Thanks for the info so far guys, hope a fix is released for this.

0 Kudos
BRich10
Novice

Update - Microsoft have investigated but not solved this yet. They have some log files they are interrogating now.

Joe_intel - Microsoft have requested that I acquire a contact at Intel so they can speak to directly regarding this problem. Can you please contact me directly so we can set this up?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I have sent you a PM.

0 Kudos
BRich10
Novice

Thanks Joe

Just to update anyone finding/following this. Intel have reproduced the error and are investigating.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It seems that we have not validated 16-bit applications with 4th generation Intel® Core processors; so, they may or may not work.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032468.htm Intel® Core&# 153; i5 Desktop Processor — Intel® Core&# 153; i5 Desktop Processor frequently asked questions

0 Kudos
SAout
Beginner

So, does that mean there will be no solution ?

0 Kudos
BRich10
Novice

It would seem so Seb, even my intel contact has gone quiet on me. I now plan to buy up any 3rd gen processor models before the become unavailable.

Waste of money, but nothing we can do it seems

0 Kudos
STorr3
Beginner

Yep, very disappointing. I had my admin install a GT 610 for me today and the problem is gone. But it's disappointing that we had to go that route instead of getting an actual fix.

0 Kudos
DCust2
Beginner

Hi, I have the same problem with processor i7-4770 i fix it with one old graphics card (nvidia 9700) but i cannot tell to my directors to buy 25 new graphics cards.

Do you have some information for new update of 4600 drivers?

TNX.

0 Kudos
LE_
Beginner

Just in case anybody is still struggling with this problem like I was recently, I wrote a patch for the problem that should fix it. You can find the patch and the detailled technical analysis here: http://www.waldbauer.com/vb/showpost.php?p=8095&postcount=6 http://www.waldbauer.com/vb/showpost.php?p=8095&postcount=6

I hope that helps. If you have any questions or need help, feel free to ask.

0 Kudos