8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by kevin_intel

SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?

charityalbumman

Hi all,

Specs first as these will probably be useful:

Custom built Gaming PC: Corsair 750d case (5x 140mm fans for cooling), Antec HCP-850w PSU, Asus P6T motherboard, Intel i7 920 CPU @ 4GHz with Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 CPU cooler, 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 RAM, EVGA GTX760 Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler graphics, SONY DVD RW DRU-190S, Seagate 600 series 480GB SSD, Western Digital Blue 500GB SATAII hdd, Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATAIII. PCIe USB 3.0 4 port addon card.

ISSUE DESCRIPTION:

I've recently just upgraded to SSD and Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

After changing the BIOS SATA from IDE to AHCI, I unplugged all other storage drives and had only the Seagate SSD connected.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed perfectly fine, including SP1 (downloaded offline installer).

I then installed AVAST free and updated windows with no issues.

After updating I applied all the usual drivers:

1. Intel INF Chipset v9.2.0.1030

2. nVidia GeForce 335.23

3. NIC Realtek v7.080.0218.2014

4. Audio Realtek High Definition Audio System Software Ver: R2.25 (downloaded from another Asus motherboard section for up to date driver)

5. Renesas Electronics uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver Kit (x86 and x64) Win 7 v3.0.23.

6. Intel Matrix Storage Manager original tried up to date v8.9.0.1023, then tried Asus web site Beta Version 8.9.0.1014.

7. JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver v1.17.62.0.

I then installed MS Office, tried to download the Service Pack through Internet Explorer 11 to discover I wasn't able to ... the "Save" button seem to just click and nothing happened. I couldn't even click "Run" or "Save As" options either. So I tried to download Firefox with again no luck with the same issues.

So I though ok that's a little strange so I'll try windows update ... which stated "Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." I restarted to be given the same message. I checked the services and the service was running!

In the end after 4 hours I rolled back using system restore and found it to be the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver causing both issues. I tried the driver from the Asus web site instead but that is still giving the same result.

2 questions:

1) Do I need Intel Matrix Storage Driver installed? If not I'll leave it uninstalled. If yes then ...

2) What should I do to try to resolve this issue? ... and ... which version of the driver should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one as it has me really baffled,

Pete

• 1. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
          kevin_intel

Hello charityalbumman,

Let me help you with that.

All the information you have provided is very useful but I have a question for you. Do you have any RAID configuration or are you accelerating the system with the SSD?

I am asking this because of the following:

1. IT is not possible to accelerate a SSD. This is because the SSD speed is much faster than a normal HDD.
          2. If you have a raid configuration, it is necessary to have the Chipset mode set as RAID.
          3. the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology helps the customer to manage the raids or acceleration in the system so in case you are not using RAID or accelerating you do not need to have the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology installed.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
            charityalbumman

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not using RAID. I backup using alway sync software to an internal drive.

I am unsure what you mean by accelerating the ssd. What is this?

Thanks for your teachings

• 3. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
              kevin_intel

You can find more information about acceleration at this link:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology.html

Now in regards to your question, The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is not required to be installed if you are no using acceleration or have a raid.

We have not heard about this issue with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. Also it is important to say that this can be caused by a Windows update or a corrupted registry key of the Operating System.

• 4. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
                charityalbumman

Hi Kevin,

I do not need it installed then.

I suspect that it cannot be a Windows issue as it was a complete fresh install.

When installing the updates I had anti-virus on during download stage; then disabled internet connection and anti-virus whilst the updates were installed.

Thank you for your aid in establishing that I do not need this installed.

• 5. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
                  B_Chinnian

Windows update had a similar message when I installed a Crucial M500 drive on Win7 Pro on an lenovo X200 tablet, and crucial solved it by having me delete the driver for the disk controller.  Windows update worked again after I rebooted twice and let windows install its own driver.

That disk caused daily BSODs, so I threw out the (new) crucial M500 and clean installed a X25-M on my X200 tablet.  The X25-M did not suffer from the failed windows update problem, but SMART showed that every shutdown of that drive was unsafe, so it also went into the garbage after considerable headbanging.

So I bought an Intel S3500 drive.  The unsafe shutdowns went away, but again Windows update gives the error "Windows update cannot check for updates because the service is not running."  Other symptoms are: sfc /scannow gives a few errors.  (This also happened when the crucial drive was acting up on me.  It went away when I uninstalled that drive.)  Also, in the Win7 event viewer I see many many ongoing errors of many types coming from windows search service. 

This problem with Windows update has therefore appeared upon installation of at least 3 SSDs of various types, and two of the three I tried with my X200 tablet.  Blaming the operating system is not helpful.  We need instructions of how to install an SSD into an actual computer that people actually use.  Preferably Intel should issue a utility that automatically finds such issues and fixes them.  This windows update problem is especially annoying, because the first time I encountered it I assumed a virus was at fault and wasted a whole day on a clean install, only to realize that the problem came from the SSD. My lenovo is mostly Intel inside, including the disk controller.  That's why I went for an intel SSD when the crucial drive turned out not to be compatible.  Everything should just work, I shouldn't have to toss intel drives because they aren't compatible with intel chips running the most common operating system.

• 6. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
                    kevin_intel

I completely understand your frustration on this matter. Based on the information you have provided, It is important to mention that when changing internal parts of a branded computer (in your case Lenovo), special features or functionality may appear.

This is because we as Intel® provide the hardware to the Computer Manufacture and they will design and create their own computers with the hardware they have defined.

At this point I recommend you contacting Lenovo for them to check the system or proceed with a warranty process if necessary.

• 7. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
                      B_Chinnian

Looks like it's SSD #3 into the garbage.  That's a score of -2 for Intel and -1 for Crucial, and a black mark against Lenovo customer service for being useless when a machine is out of warranty.

• 8. Re: SSD Win 7 64 bit Matrix Storage Driver stops Win Updates & IE11 from downloading?
                        kevin_intel

I am really sorry to hear that. I apologize for the bad experience you have gone through.