10 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2014 12:21 AM by Adrian Shephard

Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs

Adrian Shephard

Good day, my board is Intel DX79SI and i7-3930K (no overclock) I want to show bugs that Intel Desktop Utilities have, here is the screens:Sceen3.jpgSceen4.jpg Sceen1.jpgSceen2.jpg

And second thing that I wanted to say is that there is still no BIOS for Intel DX79SI that will support i7-4930K it is to bad.

• 1. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
          kevin_intel

Hi Adrian,

I am sorry you are having problems but let me help you.

I would like to start checking information about your system:

1. What IDU version are you using?
          2. What is the BIOS version you are running?
          3. Can you please post your dxdiag report?

How to get it?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Copy/Paste here.

• 2. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
            Adrian Shephard

Good day Kevin you don't have to sorry because it fine that programs has bugs. So here information:

1. IDU 3.2.8.089

2. BIOS is 0594 (BIOS string SIX7910J.86A.0594.2013.0806.2241)

3. File attached (I don't see how to make Spoiler here, file is big so the forum thread will be very long so I attached file)

To be honest these bugs where in previous version too, I just was to lazy to write about them.

Here some other information that maybe interest you:

Board: DX79SI revision AAG28808-602

AIDA64 v4.30.2900 show all temperature as its should be and HWMonitor x64 v1.24.0 show that temperature fine too.

All Drivers are latest versions for to day.

How to make Spoiler here? And what about new BIOS to support i7-4930K on DX79SI?

• 3. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
              kevin_intel

Thanks for pointing out the error. I will send this to development team for further investigation and I will be back with more information.

In regards to the BIOS to make the motherboard compatible with the processor, we have no updates yet if there will be or not an update for this purpose; however, I will also send the feedback to the proper department.

• 4. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                spearson

Adrian,

I am the owner for the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities (IDU) application; you can direct your responses directly to me.

The first issue (Ambient Air Sensor showing negative temperature) is an indicator of a potential hardware issue. The DX79SI and DX79SR boards are equipped with a two-pin header that allows you to connect a sensor-on-a-wire and use this sensor to monitor some specific place in your system. For example, in my IDU build machine - a DX79SI board with i7-3970X processor - I taped this sensor to the surface of my SSD (an older model that doesn't have a temperature sensor) so I had temperature coverage across all of my drives. Now, the software is set up so that, if the sensor wire is detected as being present during the IDU install process, it will be exposed by IDU. If the wire is not present (indicated by negative temperature), the sensor is not exposed by IDU. In cases where the sensor is exposed but is showing the negative temperature, this means that the wire was attached and working when IDU was installed, but, since then, the wire has been removed or has been broken. Your choices are to restore the wire or, if you can't, uninstalling and then reinstalling IDU should result in this sensor not being exposed any longer (if this isn't the case, let me know).

In my initial attempt to reproduce the DTS temperature display issue, I was unable to do so. On my IDU build machine, all 6 DTS temperatures are being displayed. Of course, I am using a i7-3970X processor; I will need to test with a i7-3930K and see what the difference is...

...Scott

• 5. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                  spearson

Adrian,

Here's an update.

Regarding the first issue, it definitely appears to be a bug; the BIOS is not disabling the sensor when the cable is not plugged in. I will notify the BIOS sustaining team of the issue. In the meantime, I suggest that you plug the cable into your board.

Regarding the second issue, I cannot reproduce it. With an i7-3930K processor installed, I am seeing no issues with DTS Temperature extraction or display. My suggestion is for you to try completely uninstalling IDU, reboot (very important) and then reinstall IDU.

...Scott

• 6. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                    Adrian Shephard

Good day Scott, I tried to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall IDU and nothing changed -54 still there and I am not using this sensor so it is bug, I have only 3 fans and they all connected to their jumpers. But about +128 Celsius no change after reinstalling, sensor still show this temperature. AIDA 64 and HWMonitor show that temperature fine. I forgot  to mention that my CPU Spec Code: SR0KY, Step: C2 because there is 2 kinds of i7-3930K maybe there is a difference between them? Here some screens maybe it will be interesting:

Screen1.jpg

Screen2.jpg

Screen3.jpg

Screen4.jpg

• 7. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                      spearson

Adrian,

I was hoping to avoid this but I guess we cannot. Are you comfortable running REGEDIT? If so, go ahead and uninstall IDU and then, before you reboot, run REGEDIT and ensure that the following the keys have been deleted:

64-Bit Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\Intel(R) Desktop Utilities

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\Desktop Board

32-Bit Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Intel(R) Desktop Utilities

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Desktop Board

Once this is done, you can reboot the machine and then reinstall IDU.

If this results in the Core temperatures displaying properly, great. If not, here's what I need you to do: go into REGEDIT and export the contents of  the above two keys to file(s). Send me (via Private Message) these file(s) as well as file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\FSC\FSCAppServ.log".

...Scott

• 8. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                        Adrian Shephard

Good day Scott I am sorry but I don't see button that allow me to send you files in privet message here look at the screen...Screen1.jpg

I uninstalled IDU, deleted registry keys as you wrote, after that rebooted, reinstalled IDU and still +128. And by the way here is no way to do spoilers? Because I didn't see the button for spoilers... So I put files here... I am using windows 7 x64.

• 9. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                          spearson

Adrian,

Not sure what to say at this point; all of the registry keys contain exactly what they should and the background service has reported no issues. At least initially, the service detected all of the processor's DTS sensors and was able to get valid readings from them. There's nothing there that tells us anything. Separately, my test tech. has tested with both C1 and C2 processor steppings. Regardless, the DTS readings all look good. There's something causing this but I have no idea what. I will have him keep looking...

I have no idea what you mean my "spoilers". To what are you referring? [probably need to describe]

To answer your other question, the IDU GUI was designed a very long time ago, by a 3rd-party developer, in the Delphi language. In a nutshell, we would have to implement a completely new GUI to get support for features like window resizing. This is a significant effort; many man-months of work. I am sorry to say that, since this application is in sustaining (and approaching end-of-life status), there are no resources that could be dedicated to an effort such as this.

...Scott

• 10. Re: Re: Intel Desktop Utilities has many bugs
                            Adrian Shephard

Good day Scott about Spoilers, when I need to post big image or long text, for example on other forums, I can hide big images or text under special command, it looks like button and when you pushing it you will see text or image that I hided there. So it is very comfortable to use spoilers for posting big things.

This bug was not critical from the beginning I think that it is something specific on my computer that causing this bug. If end-of-life status approaching so then no need to spend resources on it. I want to say thank you for your time and help.