Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2039 Discussions

What to do about "Blocks with media errors"

MKirk2
Beginner

I have a RAID5 with 4x 3TB WD RED drives, on a ASUS H87i-PLUS using the Intel RST RAID options

I recently encountered two power failures because of broken powerlines. After this event the RAID has been "Verified and Repaired" where it found 10 errors and repaired all 10 errors.

After this i now have 5320 Blocks with Media Errors

so my question is, what should i do about it ?

I've run Windows CheckDisk which came back empty handed - no errors..

I've now clicked on Verify again, with the option "Repair automatically" checked... (i remember doing that the last time too??)

thanksi

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Martin.Kirk, thanks for contacting us through the Intel communities.

Would you please let me know which software are you using to get the information about the "Blocks with Media Errors"?

Which Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version do you have installed?

0 Kudos
MKirk2
Beginner

Hi

I'm using Intel RST 12.9.0.1001 (according to the About page)

I installed the newest i could find.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information; however could you please let me know which software or application is giving you the media errors?

0 Kudos
MKirk2
Beginner
0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Martin.Kirk, I'm sorry to keep bothering you with this topic, but as far as I know the Intel Intel® Rapid Storage Technology does not provide this kind of information.

Do you mind sending me a picture of the error?

Could you also let me know which operating system are you using?

0 Kudos
MKirk2
Beginner

Windows 7 Professional

And picture proof:

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Those media error seems to be SMART errors, but there are not related to performance or data loss on your system.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is just reporting this information to you, but it is not causing issues on your system, or on your RAID 5.

As far as I know this tool does not offer repair options for media errors. In order to repair them, it would be necessary to run a full scan on your disk, but you would need to take the hard drive out of the RAID and scan it.

0 Kudos
JKuro1
Beginner

I've the same issue running RST 13.6.0.1002. Blocks with Media errors are shown but can't be resolved. It doesn't seem to affect the running of the PC.

But if Intel created software which shows such errors there must be a reason behind why and of course I'm sure there is a solution to it.

Having googled almost all threads to it and found nothing I have to say this is not satisfactory!!!

0 Kudos