1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 10:36 AM by spearson

Desktop Board DG35EC and Windows 8.1

maddog69

Although I've worked with computers for awhile, I'm new at the discussion forums.  My question is: I have a DG35EC board that works very well, but on the download site, the updates only go to Windows 7.   Are those updates suitable for Windows 8.1?  Board model is DG35EC, board version is AAE29266.205, BIOS version is EC3510M.86A.0118.2010.0113.1426, with a G35 Express Chipset, running an Intel Core2Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66 GHz and 5.5 GB memory. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Desktop Board DG35EC and Windows 8.1
          spearson

maddog69,

The DG35EC board was end-of-lifed quite some long ago and we no longer provide sustaining or BIOS/Driver updates for it. At the point where sustaining was suspended, Windows 7 was the latest Windows version available and supported. If you choose to use Windows 8.1 on this board, be aware of the following:

1. We do not provide device drivers for Windows 8/8.1. That said, for boards this old, Windows 8/8.1 has built-in support for most of the hardware found on these boards. Whether this is sufficient for your case is something you will have to determine for yourself. I am sure there are folks out there who would be happy to comment on their own experiences attempting this.
          2. Since the BIOS contains no support for Windows 8/8.1, some features required by Windows 8/8.1 - that necessary to support Windows Secure Boot Mode, for example - will not be available. Again, this is something that varies from one board to another. Perhaps others with the same board can comment on their own experiences.

Many people have found that Windows 8/8.1 will run on these boards well enough. We hope that this is the case for you, but there is not much that we can offer to help (other than this forum as a sounding board) with any incompatibilities that you encounter...

...Scott