5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2014 1:27 AM by LarsR

Updating firmware / bsp / spi / small Linux image on the actual board?

what

I have looked and read lots of these post and can not translate what any of them are talking about. 

I downloaded the 1.0 files from here:  http://alextgalileo.altervista.org/images/

I believe I only need 2 files?  (Intel doc sec 9 page 11.... also doc with files.)
      -CapsuleApp.efi
      -Flash100.cap

This is where I assume it is suppose to be self explanatory? 

-What directory do you put the 2 files in? 

-What do you put on the SD card?  Just the 2 files?  No larger Linux install?

I looked at the Intel doc and the doc with the files and about every post....  But I know I missed it!   

I wouldn't bother updated the firmware..... but this board reboots or something randomly and I hope this fixes the problem?  I am running 7.5 now.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Updating firmware / bsp / spi / small Linux image on the actual board?
          Intel_Jesus

Hi what,

You can update the firmware with the IDE, but that will only update it to the latest version of 0.7.5. Now if you want to update to 1.0.0 which has not been verified for Galileo. To manually update the firmware you will need a 3.5mm to RS232 and RS232 to USB. I recommend updating the firmware on the IDE first then process with the following at your own risk. Note that it is critical that the .efi and .cap are matching pairs. In other words make sure they are both 1.0.0.

• Copy the .efi and .cap file to a blank SD card in the root directory
          • Open a Putty session, click F7 to show boot options
          • Then select UEFI Internal Shell
          • Press ESC
          • Type fs0:
          • Type CapsuleApp.efi Flash100.cap

Do not disconect power supply from Galileo while updating the firmware. It should take about 5 minutes or so. After the update is complete then you can use the Linux image you built or downloaded from AlexT’s website.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Updating firmware / bsp / spi / small Linux image on the actual board?
            what

I have updated the firmware to 0.7.5 via the Arduino ide.

I also build my own serial cable:  https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/Serial%20Cable%20for%20Galileo.pdf

Verified the whole serial to usb thing worked:   https://communities.intel.com/message/232436

I know I am still missing something.  What is the purpose of the serial cable?  I am using putty.... for the connection type it is "serial" and the speed is "115200".... I also changed the Terminal -> Keyboard -> Function keys to "SCO".  But nothing is displayed? 

Is the serial cable suppose to display the same data as the usb cable when connected via serial/putty?  I can get  "Serial.println" commands to display via the usb cable in putty.

Can you boot the board with the 3.5mm plug installed?  My board seems to not ever boot with my modified blinky / printy sketch.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Updating firmware / bsp / spi / small Linux image on the actual board?
              LarsR

The purpose of the serial cable is to let you see what the board is doing when booting.

If you're sure the cable is correctly made, then it sounds like you're telling PuTTY to listen on the wrong port.

Have a look at what ports you have in device manager when the USB cable is disconnected.

If all of that looks right, then try swapping pins 2 & 3 to see if you get anything then.

Make sure pin 5 is ground; you'll want the same ground on both computer and board.

And yes, you can boot the board with the 3.5mm plug installed.

I don't believe the board has any persistent storage available for sketches w/o an SD card mounted;

i.e. it won't survive a reboot.

• 4. Re: Updating firmware / bsp / spi / small Linux image on the actual board?
                what

I finally figured out what my problem was....  I checked my home made serial cable 200x times with a multimeter and there was no problem with it.  But I purchased a new 3.5mm to serial cable from amazon anyway.  Which fixed my problem! 

I was using a new monoprice 3.5mm cord spliced.... all I can think of is the 3.5mm terminal is "off".    When checking the solder points on the galileo board to the end of my cable there was a problem.  I JUST thought of checking that! 

BTW.... The upgraded os seems to help the board's run time.... but I still only get around 6 hours max?  The board is connected to the computer via usb the whole time?  Is this good or normal?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Updating firmware / bsp / spi / small Linux image on the actual board?
                  LarsR

Is this a new question now?

None of the suggestion received so far helped you with your original issue?

Please mark a suggestion as the answer and open a new issue.

People will be more likely to help you if you pass some credit the other way...