4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 6:32 PM by Krissi

Why is there no Bluetooth on high end models...

Krissi

.. when it is on the low end models (DN2820FYKH/DN2830FYKH vs D34010WYKH and D54250WYKH)

Hi.

I have been considering one of the NUC beauties. Specially the i3 and i5 models are interesting but I am surprised to see that the low end Celeron model is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 while the more expensive i3 and i5 models are not. I would expect the high end models to contain at least the same features as the low end models.

So the question is... is Bluetooth in consideration on future i3 and i5 NUC's?

Best regards,

Krissi

PS. Yes, I know that you can by a Bluetooth dongle by why make use of and usb-port when it could be a part of the standard NUC as with the cheaper Celeron-,model.

• 1. Re: Why is there no Bluetooth on high end models...
          JasonHoffman

Hi Krissi,

Bluetooth is a function of the wifi module, not the NUC.  In the past all NUCs (like most PCs) required that you add a wifi module for wifi and/or bluethooth.  The DN2820 is the first model where Intel provides the wifi module for free. It's meant to be a very low cost model and the idea was to make it as inexpensive and cost-effective as possible for an end-user to get it up and running.  It also makes it easier to work with because the user doesn't have to install the module and connect the antenna wires.

The more expensive NUCs leave the slot empty to give the user choice in selecting which module they want.  They may want wifi, bluetooth, both, or neither. They may want widi or not. Since the i3 and i5 are meant to be more versatile the user is left to decide what features they do/don't want.  The modules can be anywhere from $10 to $100 depending on features.

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is there no Bluetooth on high end models...
            Krissi

Hi Jason,

Thank you for a quick, precise and helpful response.

It does make sense though it also makes the device even more expensive. My guess is that a lot of people buying a device like this want to keep it as minimalistic as possible on an everyday use and thereby free of network cable. I think that some kind of Wi-Fi will be needed by more than 2/3 of the people buying a NUC. Okay you can then have it tailored to your needs as you describe but it just makes it more complex for users as the one seen on your advertising image (marquee-man-at-monitor) to make the final step and buy it if it gets to techie to figure out what PCIe Mini Card to buy. My guess is that the Marquee man at monitor doesn't even know what a PCIe (Half Length) is.

I love the NUC product line and I have the feeling that they are selling very well (the DB2820 is sold out in northern Europe where I live). I just think that i3 and i5 would sell even better at regular people if it was added as part of the standard product. An Intel Wireless-N 7260 (PCIe HL) that includes Wi-Fi, WIDI and Bluetooth cost just $23 in Denmark. I am sure that Intel's production cost of that card is somewhat lower and that including it wouldn't make that big a difference on the price tag... but give better product value for many consumers.

Thank you for the attention,

Krissi

P.S. Wold the Intel Wireless-N 7260 work on the NUC's?

• 3. Re: Why is there no Bluetooth on high end models...
              JasonHoffman

Krissi,

I agree it would be easier market-wise if the card was included. Who knows, now that it's provided in the DN2820 perhaps they'll look at including it with the other models as well.

Oh, and yes the 7260 works great!

Jason