I found the problem. The issue was caused by a corrupted INF driver cache. This came to light when I tried connecting my BlackBerry and Garmin GPS unit. Both devices failed durring their driver install. Apparently this is an on-going bug that just randomly occurs from time to time. Though this is the first time I've personally experienced this problem... Good news however, the fix is simple.
Here is the website where I found my answer. Basically, the batch file clears out the bad files in question. You may have to reboot your computer and run again just to be sure they're not still locked and in use which will prevent their deletion. Below is also the text needed to create your own batch file. Be sure to right-click and "run-as" Administrator.
I was now able to install (and verify) the Matrix driver 8.9 successfully. My Blackberry and Garmin GPS unit also installed too.
TITLE Repairing Inf Cache
rem change to drive where windows runs
rem change to the \windows\inf folder
rem create random directory for backup
rem list of files which need to be removed
rem take ownership of the first file
takeown /f %FILE1%
rem grant full control to 'administrators'
icacls %FILE1% /grant administrators:F /t
rem move it to the backup folder
move %FILE1% %FOLDERNAME%
rem same for the other files
takeown /f %FILE2%
icacls %FILE2% /grant administrators:F /t
move %FILE2% %FOLDERNAME%
takeown /f %FILE3%
icacls %FILE3% /grant administrators:F /t
move %FILE3% %FOLDERNAME%
takeown /f %FILE4%
icacls %FILE4% /grant administrators:F /t
move %FILE4% %FOLDERNAME%
takeown /f %FILE5%
icacls %FILE5% /grant administrators:F /t
move %FILE5% %FOLDERNAME%
echo Successfully moved all infcache related files to %FOLDERNAME%