1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 4:53 AM by rambomhtri

Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

rambomhtri

Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 x64. My laptop is a Lenovo Y510P with 1TB HDD and a SSD of 24GB in the M.2 NGFF interface for caching. Since my laptop uses Expresscache to manage the SSD, and not IRST...

Do I need to still have installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

If not, I'd like to uninstall it. I just wanna make sure that IRST is not needed if Expresscache is the software that controls the cache thing and the SSD.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
          joe_intel

Thank you for sharing your question.

As far as I can see ExpressCache* is completely independent from Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

The only point to note here is that a Microsoft* inbox driver will probably be installed when Intel® RST is removed, replacing it. I would expect this change to be a normal transition without issues.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
            rambomhtri

Thanks for replying.

But I still have some serious doubts about it. I wanna uninstall it, but I've read that they both help each other (last reply):

http://superuser.com/questions/569129/expresscache-vs-intels-rapid-storage-and-smart-response-technologies

So that's why I'm asking here. If I can uninstall it, I don't understand why Lenovo is shipping its laptops with Expresscache and IRST installed on them, because only ONE of them is managing the SSD in my M.2 NGFF bay.

You sure my laptop is not getting any benefit from IRST?

If you're an Intel expert, I'd uninstall it, but I just wanna make sure IRST is doing NOTHING in my PC. Thanks!!!

• 3. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
              joe_intel

Regarding the statement from the forum you provided, we can only acknowledge the last reply as a personal opinion but it is not an official response. We are talking about two completely independent software programs that provide similar features.

The features or advantages offered by Intel® Rapid Storage Technology are: RAID volume management, Intel® Smart Response, and Intel® Rapid Recover Technology. I have checked the specifications of your system in different websites and I could not find any of these features included by your system. However, there is a chance for features like these not to be included in the specifications (including ExpressCache*); so, my best suggestion is checking with the manufacturer in order to verify if your system includes or supports any of these aforementioned features.

Your system already has ExpressCache* and therefore it should not need to use Intel® Smart Response. If your system does not make use of RAID or Intel® Rapid Recover Technology, you may uninstall the software without losing any of these advantages.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                rambomhtri

Thank you very much. I think also that they are different programs, and they are not helping each other. So yeah, I'm gonna uninstall it, I think's it's there doing nothing at all. But I have more questions:

You said that "a Microsoft* inbox driver will probably be installed when Intel® RST is removed, replacing it". What's the point of that, to have AGAIN another software that I'm not gonna use (because Expresscache is the ONLY ONE here managing my SSD)?

I mean, Expresscache is a yellow car, and IRST is a red car. Managing SSD is like driving. When I'm driving, I can only drive one car, so the other one is doing nothing, and I want to get rid of it. But you say that when I get rid of the red car, another white car is gonna replace it. I don't understand that. Shouldn't Expresscache be the only software I need to be installed here?

Thanks again. I've sent an email to lenovo asking this.

• 5. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                  joe_intel

I believe we are confusing two different concepts; let me try to explain the best I can:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is a software that can be used to implement Intel® Smart Response Technology and I believe we can agree ExpressCache* serves a similar purpose by using the SSD as a cache for the mechanical drive, accelerating it.

However, besides this functionality, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology loads a driver that operates at a basic level, between operating system and (SATA controller) hardware. Whether you use acceleration or not a driver for this hardware component will always be required for the general operation of the computer. If you decide to uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, Windows* is expected to load its own version of this driver (but no additional software).

We provide a driver because we are the manufacturer of the “Intel® [insert family model here] Chipset SATA AHCI Controller” in your computer (found in Control Panel, Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers).

• 6. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                    rambomhtri

Oh, I didn't know that. So, then, I'm USING IRST, right (which I think I didn't)?

But not for acceleration, because that is up to Expresscache.

Basically, what I wanna know is if I can get rid of IRST at startup, that tray icon that takes 1 minute to initialize. I think THAT icon is what manages SSD's in other computers, and since it's not managing mine, I don't know why it starts with windows

This is the tray icon:

http://media.community.dell.com/en/communityserver.components.imagefileviewer/communityserver/discussions/components/files/3534/6215.3.jpg-550x0.jpg?m=634846238672171719

How can I disable it?

Should I or that start up software (IRST) is actually doing something not related to my SSD?

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                      joe_intel

I believe the option you are looking for can be accessed from the Preferences button in the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology window; it says “Shows the notification area icon”.

• 8. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                        rambomhtri

No, that's not what is annoying me. What annoys me is that it's running and doing nothing, and that's why I wanna uninstall it.

Unless you tell me that I'm actually using it, but I understood that I don't need it if I have already Expresscache.

So here's the point:

1. IRST is a software that allows you to use a SSD as cache. So, if I didn't had an SSD in my system, I wouldn't need IRST, and it wouldn't come installed in my Lenovo Y510P.

2. If I have Expresscache managing my SSD, that means that I'm not using IRST, nonetheless it's still installed and it runs at windows startup. So its objective is: nothing.

3. If I uninstall IRST, you say that Windows will install another software that also runs at windows startup (because replaces IRST, and it should work in the same way) and its objective is: nothing, since Expresscache is the one that manages the SSD.

So that's what I don't understand, I do not understand why IRST has to run at startup if it does nothing, and that's why I wanna uninstall it, cause it's unnecessary. I hope I solve this IRST thing soon, god, xD.

• 9. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                          joe_intel

I understand. You may then, remove IAStorIcon from the Startup tab in System Configuration. This can be accessed by pressing the Windows* key plus the R key and then enter “msconfig”.

Besides the option above, I can only recommend uninstalling Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

• 10. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                            rambomhtri

OK, I know that I can disable it in the startup tab of Windows Task Manager. But I don't understand some things. You tell me if I'm wrong:

1. If my laptop had ONLY 1TB HDD, I wouldn't need IRST, isn't it?

2. If I set a 24GB SSD for cache, I need IRST in order to manage it and configure it, right?

3. The Lenovo Y510P is using another software to do that, Expresscache.

4. Then, IRST is useless here in my system.

5. Nevertheless, if I uninstall it (which is my main objective, but I'm not sure if I can do it), Windows replaces it with another program. THIS is what I don't understand. I've already replaced IRST by Expresscache, why would I want another program?

6. Is that program/driver from windows also necessary in point 1?

If it is, then I understand the whole thing (it means that the windows driver is ALWAYS necessary, don't matter if you have 1 HDD, 2 HHD, 1 SSD for cache or not, or whatever), and that driver can be replaced by a driver from Intel that comes in the "pack" of IRST. That explains why if I uninstall IRST, windows installs another program/driver.

If it's not true what I've just said, I'm still lost, very lost.

• 11. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                              joe_intel

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology can also be used to monitor your drives, SSD or mechanical, besides the other features described above. The software also loads a basic device driver which serves to communicate the hardware components (Hard Drive, SATA controller chipset).

If you uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology all components of this software will be removed; therefore Windows* will attempt to load a device driver, which usually is small size/footprint.

The driver itself is always necessary but it is a matter of personal preference if you decide to use Intel® Rapid Storage Technology or not.

• 12. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                                rambomhtri

OK, I've chatted with Intel support and the guy said that IRST is doing nothing in my laptop, but show me some information, but it's not necessary at all, cause I don't have any "accelerate" tab.

So I've uninstalled it and my laptop works great, and it hasn't installed any driver from Windows, or at least I've not noticed that. Where's supposed to be that driver from Windows you said it'd be installed?

• 13. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                                  joe_intel

It is located at Control Panel, Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, in the driver tab of Intel® [insert family model here] Chipset SATA AHCI Controller the driver provider most likely changed to Microsoft*. Actually, the whole name may change to something like “Standard AHCI…”. Again, this is no big deal.

• 14. Re: Can I uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
                                    kop

Thanks joe_intel and other posters.  After replacing a hard drive in my laptop, Windows Update would not work and IE would not download files.  Another symptom was that when attempting to download an executable file, IE would display a SAVE button not the normal RUN button.  I could find nothing on my laptop that indicated Rapid Storage Technology was in use.  Posts on Microsoft's website cited possible conflicts between Windows Update and Rapid Storage Technology (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ee85d867-ce2f-412f-8c03-f43ab92132cc/windows-update-cannot-currently-check-for-updates-because-the-service-is-not-running-window-7-help?forum=w7itproinstall).

The solution was to uninstall the entry under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Though several restarts were required, Windows automatically found and installed new controllers.

1 2 Previous Next