cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

530 series ssd not recognised

DMcNa2
New Contributor

Installed 240 gb 530 series 2.5 inch ssd in Dell Dimension 8300 using PCI SATA card. Appears in BIOS (revision A03) as 'unknown device'. Cannot update to A07 because installation program not compatible with Windows 7. Drive is correctly and fully identified in Device Manager under Windows 7.

Want to insatll operating system on new ssd using old hard disk for data. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I am sorry, I do not fully understand the issue; is the Intel® SSD recognized during Windows* installation? I believe it is better to use the SATA ports from the motherboard itself.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-8300_serv... ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-8300_serv...

There is no SATA port or I would have used it. It is an old machine made in 2004. I used a Star tech PCI Sata card (PCIESATA2I).

The BIOS detects the drive but does not recognise it. It appears as 'unknown device'. Windows recognises the device but when I try to install an operating system it warns me the BIOS will not boot from it as it is not enabled. I have set the SATA 1 & 2 in the BIOS to auto and the primary master/slave drives to auto so it should be enabled.

The issue is I need to get the BIOS to recognise the drive.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Well, I guess the service manual I attached above is for a slightly different model.

You may check the Intel® SSD firmware version using a different computer, and update it if needed; hopefully you will have the chance to do so and to update the BIOS somehow. We also have to consider the possibility of a compatibility issue because of the difference in age of the components involved and because the PCI/SATA card may not be able to properly recognize the drive.