3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 2:54 PM by Intel_Jesus

How to connect wifi if there is no passphrase for the SSID

napoleaninlondon

Hi

I have a Linksys EA3500 router which has a simple security key to connect to the SSID. The blog to enable the WiFi -Intel Galileo Meets Wireless - Malinov Family Web Presence tells to use the passphrase to connect to the SSID. Is there a workaround to indicate the security key instead of passphrase?

wpa_passphrase MyWiFi << EOF > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Additional Info when /etc/init.rd/networking restart happened

following errors existed

Line 2: unknown global field 'Passphrase must be 8..63 characters'.

Line 2: Invalid configuration line 'Passphrase must be 8..63 characters'.

Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

I have Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and hence I used the firmware - iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-17.168.5.1.tgz  as indicated in iwlwifi - Linux Wireless .  Is this correct?

-Pawan

• 1. Re: How to connect wifi if there is no passphrase for the SSID
          Intel_Jesus

Hi napoleaninlondon,

Try editing your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, add the following code to the bottom of your file. Replace the “MySSID” with your networks SSID:

network={
                  ssid="MySSID"
                  key_mgmt=NONE
          }

And run the following commands to restart your networking:

cd /
          /etc/init.d/networking restart

If that does not work, I also suggest uploading the sketch in the “Open network example” section here: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoWiFiShield. Then take a look at the wpa_supplicant.conf file via Linux to see the configuration if you have a successful connection.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

• 2. Re: How to connect wifi if there is no passphrase for the SSID
            napoleaninlondon

Where should i specify the security key of the SSID?

Tried the suggested edits in the .conf file but no luck. I have N-6230 and unsure which driver to choose - iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-18.168.6.1 or iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-17.168.5.1.

Also, I tried the scan network example sketch by trying out different baud rates(115200, 9600) and it could not connect to the wifi network.

• 3. Re: How to connect wifi if there is no passphrase for the SSID
              Intel_Jesus

Hi napoleaninlondon,

My apologies for misunderstanding your question. What do you mean by simple security key? Although the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 has not been validated for Galileo. You can try installing the driver and it looks like this driver: iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-17.168.5.1.tgz is the correct one but I’m not too sure. The “ScanNetwork” example will not connect to your network. It will only display the networks in range on the Serial Monitor. Once the serial monitor is open click the reset button (closest to the SD card slot). If it does not display any networks or displays "WiFi shield not present" the wireless card is not properly installed. The Arduino WiFi library only supports WPA/WPA2 Personal encryption, WEP and open networks. I would try reconfiguring your router to either WPA or WPA2.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus