9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 9:50 AM by mhahn

MicroSD card full usage

GuyD

Hi,

When installing/using the full linux image http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23171/eng/LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5.7z on my Intel Galileo MicroSD card (e.g. a 32GB microsd card) will the available diskspace on this microsd card automatically be used or not (if not what should i do that the all available diskspace will be used)?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: MicroSD card full usage
          tinkerer8473

The 0.7.5 image your reference contains a loop file system in one big file known as a blob. The blob can be no larger than the biggest file the file system allows. That is about 3-4 Gig for the FAT file system.

There are some alternative Galileo images that are not limited by the blob and can use the full 32 Gig available on an SDCARD. There is the Intel IOT devkit if you want a yocto base system. You could try my image if you prefer debian over ethernet or maybe this image.

These images need to be written to the SDCARD and then the partitions need to be resized to use the full 32 Gig size of your SDCARD. These are linux file systems so special software is needed to perform the resizing. An easy way is to use gparted with linux. If you don't have linux then I would recommend a linux live USB drive where you can run the gparted from the USB drive. There are many choices for the linux live distribution.

• 2. Re: MicroSD card full usage
            GuyD

Thanks.

With the yocto devkit download

Yocto Live USB Image (4.2GB zipped) or

SD card (200MB Zipped) I have to create/build myself a Linux distribution?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: MicroSD card full usage
              tinkerer8473

The IOT devkit SDCARD is already yocto based linux except using eglibc instead of uclib. They are libraries used for embedded systems so anything not already included needs to be built with yocto. This is not for beginners.

The IOT devkit live USB is a linux distribution including compilers for creating programs to run on the Galileo instead of using Arduino. I don't know if gparted is included on the USB. The USB is based on debian so gparted can be easily added if not already included.

If all you plan to do with the Galileo is run 'sketches' then you probably want the Arduino IDE and so the standard 0.7.5 or 0.7.5-2 might be sufficient and the 2 Gig blob should be big enough. The choice really would depend on what you plan to do with your Galileo.

Be sure to update the SPI flash with the Intel Arduino IDE before experimenting with SDCARDs because the original factory installed flash had many problems.

• 4. Re: MicroSD card full usage
                GuyD

Thanks.

I want to run Oracle Java 8 apps on the Intel Galileo.

The IOT devkit live USB is a linux distribution including compilers for creating programs to run on the Galileo instead of using Arduino. I don't know if gparted is included on the USB. The USB is based on debian so gparted can be easily added if not already included.

What's not clear to me if using the IOT devkit live USB running as USB on Windows hosts, and running as VirtualBox VM machines on Macs: what OS is running on the Galileo?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: MicroSD card full usage
                  tinkerer8473

The USB live debian distribution is used to build a program to run on the Galileo with real c/c++ compilers instead of Arduino style.

The Galileo runs programs either in SPI flash or on the SDCARD.

The SPI flash is a very small 8 Meg flash containing a very small embedded linux. This flash can only run small 'sketches'.

The SDCARD can have a variety of operating systems whether the enlarged version of the embedded linux or a full distribution like my debian image. To run a java VM with a database then a full linux distribution would be needed.

The Galileo is a pentium class x86 for 32-bit programs. Be sure Oracle can run on a pentium i586 class CPU because some 32-bit distributions need an i686.

• 6. Re: MicroSD card full usage
                    GuyD

Ok thanks.

OK I understand, besides your full linux Debian, one last thing what isn't clear are the different downloads (I find not much info/doc about these different downloads) on the Intel website are these all "full" linux images:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23171/eng/LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5.7z

Yocto Live USB Image (4.2GB zipped)

SD card (200MB Zipped)

If you have a linux distro on your sd card does the Galileo automatically boot from it (since there's a linux on the SPI flash)?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: MicroSD card full usage
                      tinkerer8473

The Galileo will boot from the SDCARD automatically if everything is working correctly and only boot to the SPI flash if the SDCARD is missing.

Both of the Intel SDCARD distributions for Galileo are just yocto distributions for embedded linux. The 0.7.5 is based on uclib and the IOT devkit is based on eglibc. They are not full distributions in any sense and are very limited. To add anything like java would require building your own package so I would avoid that unless you were designing a new PC board to run in an embedded environment.

The debian is a general purpose operating system and can do almost anything. I have not used Oracle and wonder if the Oracle linux binary distribution could run on the Pentium class Galileo. There are certainly many databases that would and are already included in debian.

• 8. Re: MicroSD card full usage
                        GuyD

Ok thanks.

I don't want to run Oracle DATABASE on a small device as the Galileo ;-) I just want to run (own developed) Oracle JAVA 8 apps.

• 9. Re: MicroSD card full usage
                          mhahn

tinkerer8473

"anything not already included needs to be built with yocto."

I think that's not completely true:

- there is a repository available on IOTDK download location which you can "opkg install" from.

- in particular you'll find gcc there. So you could also build on the target (or chroot in the target SD card and build on a host system).

So there is no need to use Yocto

Those who want to try Yocto might be interested in following blog on building Oracle JRE: Some hints on Yocto builds for IoT devkit - example: adding Java JRE