Here is my corrected release for the standard i386 Debian wheezy distribution for the Galileo to be written to an sdcard at least 4GB. I hope this image has solved the problem of naming the eth interface. Please report any discovered issues in this thread.
md5sum: 68d4016f57f679c6da73f4284f901cd7 YAD4galileo1.img.zip
The file YAD4galileo1.img.zip should be unzipped to the disk image file having a size of 3724541440 bytes.
md5sum: 67dba3ef6eb5a34cc08ce1e8cae5bace YAD4galileo1.img
The YAD4galileo1.img file is then to be written to the sdcard using dd on linux or rawrite.exe on Windows. Do not simply copy the image to the sdcard. The linux command for dd is here:
dd if=YAD4galileo1.img of=/dev/mmcblkX bs=1M conv=fsync
Be sure to replace mmcblkX with the correct number of your device without the partition modifier. My notebook with only one slot for the sdcard is /dev/mmcblk0 although yours could be something else. The sdcard will be written with a new bootloader/partition table and the two new partitions. When done writing the image to the sdcard the brand new partition table should look like this:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 * 2048 106493 52223 b W95 FAT32
/dev/mmcblk0p2 106496 7274495 3584000 83 Linux
The mmcblk0p2 is an ext3 filesystem and can be resized to any size after writing the almost 4Gig image to the sdcard. I use gparted on linux.
I built this image starting with the IOT devkit SDCARD image. I use their kernel and kernel modules. I replaced the yocto with debian wheezy. The Galileo can be booted and reached with ssh or telnet over the ethernet without needing a serial rs-232 connection.
Login with 'root' password of 'debian'. Login with 'user' password of 'debian'.
I have a number of debian packages preinstalled including mc and dselect. Included is the vncserver. Also included is the fixed libpthread from earlier posts. Use apt-get to install anything from wheezy. This is ready to go.
The fixed libpthread is installed in /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread-2.13.so with symbolic links to libpthread.so.0 and has so far solved the segfaults caused by using the standard debian libpthread. There is a copy in the /root/ directory in case the fixed file is ever removed or replaced by dpkg or other file operations. Great thanks to samoht for fixing the buggy libpthread last month in here.
Anybody can use this image for their own purposes. I don't expect to do any more to this image so I can begin toying with my electronics. I only get about an hour a day to use on my Galileo so I hope everybody overtakes me on their projects. This is basically a simple approach and not fancy so everybody can begin working without any problems.