3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 3:20 PM by AlexT_Intel

Serial Read/Write on RS-232

FredA

Can the 3.5 mm RS-232 port on the Galileo board be used for input/output using the Serial.read and Serial.write statements in the Arduino IDE?

If so, what is the port number.

• 1. Re: Serial Read/Write on RS-232
          AlexT_Intel

Not without tinkering. The default setup doesn't use that one. You can find the mappings in a thread called "Serial ports" by EJP.

• 2. Re: Serial Read/Write on RS-232
            FredA

Thank you AlexT

OK,   So my plan A will not work.  Plan B would be to use an RS-232 shield that gets its RX and TX from pins 0 and 1.

Do pins 0 and 1 on the Galileo conflict with the USB as they do on some other Arduino boards.

I am a little disappointed.  The third paragraph of the Galileo product brief says that the RS-232 port is one of the features that "expands the native usage and capabilities beyond the Arduino shield ecosystem."  That would seem to me that the RS-232 port is supported.

• 3. Re: Serial Read/Write on RS-232
              AlexT_Intel

Well, I think the phrase is correct - native capabilities in this case is direct access to Linux console and UEFI shell, which indeed expand potential usages beyond shields (and for shields there's UART @ pin 0 & 1)