Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Can I use the Centrino 6205 to scan for APs?

DClin
New Contributor I

Hi,

I've got a Centrino 6205 WiFi card in my Ubuntu 13.10 machine and I'd like to use it to scan for nearby access points and identify their signal strength and working channels. I can successfully connect and do things like sniffing using tcpdump, but when I run

sudo iwlist scan

I get

Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported

Now, I know it's always possible that "doesn't support scanning" might simply mean the Centrino "doesn't support scanning," but I have seen references around the web to people scanning with other flavors of Centrino (like the 6150). Does anyone here know if the 6205 is up to this and, for bonus points, how I can get this going?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DClin
New Contributor I

Update: everything's fine. I think my problem was that the card needs to be brought up manually (ifup wlan0) before scanning. It's getting all kinds of nice data now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DClin
New Contributor I

Update: everything's fine. I think my problem was that the card needs to be brought up manually (ifup wlan0) before scanning. It's getting all kinds of nice data now.

0 Kudos