1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 12:43 PM by Aryan2411

RAID 0 Drive "About to fail"

I have an ASUS P5B Deluxe Motherboard. I have a RAID 0 set up, where information is striped between 2 drives. I got a message saying that one of these drives is "About to fail" so I made sure my back ups were all recent. This message was through the "Intel Matrix Storage Console." The only detail is "A hard drive reported that a read or write failed." Is there anything I can do to prevent this drive from failing? If I were to physically replace the one failing drive, would I lose all of my data (I think the answer is yes, but I'm just checking). Any suggestions are much appreciated.

• 1. Re: RAID 0 Drive "About to fail"
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Actually the best thing to do is to make a complete separate verified backup of the data.

Then try to identify which drive is failing.

Try to run a check on your disk to see if everything is fine. Usually you may get your hard disk tool from the Manufacturer like Seagate.

If everything is fine, something if you put back the repaired drive, the data will still be here.

Now regarding your question about replacing the drive, yes, you will lose the data as you will need to recreate a new raid 0 with both drives and the raid array will be auto-initialised thus deleting all the data.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,

Regards,
          Aryan.