3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 12:39 PM by AlexT_Intel

Intel Galileo

GuyD

What's the intended use (in IoT scenarios) of the Intel Galileo: as an Edge device (to which the sensors, actuators are connected) or as the middle-man data-gateway (interface between the edge-devices and the cloud)? Or is it meant for both roles?

Three additional questions:

- what production-ready Zigbee, (802.15.4) and WiFi modules are available for the Intel Galileo?

- I read in another post already about java on the Galileo but do the provided Linux distribution(s) for Galileo support either/or both Oracle Java 8 ME or Oracle Java 8 SE? If yes someone experience with Java on the Galileo?

- Out-of-the-box development for Galileo is only C/C++ or also e.g. Python?

Thanks.

Guy

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo
          SpiderKenny

I'm not Intel, so these are just my own opinions:

For me the Galileo is a good development kit, and application platform for The Quark SoC.

The end product for me could be edge device, or even the main central device in a system.

The end product will have a circuit based on the Galileo, but it won't be a Galileo board.

I use an Intel Centrino Wireless N 135 wireless card without trouble on my board, and others such as Intel 6250 are also supported, but only if you boot from the LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5 SD Card image, not from SPI Flash.

As for Java - I'd have to say, no thanks for me. I don't see a need for it. I won't get drawn into a fight over why java is good/bad, but lets just say I worked for a large (very large) software company which made a range of products in Native C/C++ and in Java and there was never any winning argument for java. Development times were not shorter, maintenance was not easier, cross platform was not easy. When it came to it a large multinational was interested in buying our company, but when they saw the amount of Java we used they laughed and walked away.

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo
            rmm200

There is no out-of-the-box development other than sketches written using the Arduino IDE.

Once you get to running Linux on the SD card, development is any language that runs on Linux.

Just download the appropriate tarball and build it. Same goes for Java if that is your taste.

I use Ruby myself, in addition to C and C++.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Intel Galileo
              AlexT_Intel

I'd personally call an SD card image "out of box" too, but that's just wording, probably :-)

Anyway, GuyD, when using the SD card image you get Python and Node.js (older versions) in addition to C/C++. With a little more tinkering you can get pretty much anything you can compile (Ruby and so on).

There are two alternative images with built-in gcc and company, which can be used to build other tools.

Here's the discussion thread on one: https://communities.intel.com/thread/49601

Instructions on building another one are here: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog

1 of 1 people found this helpful