8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 7:05 AM by allan_intel

Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install

rbwillnj

I have an Asus X79-Deluxe motherboard with an i7-4930 processor and of course an X79 chipset.

The drivers for the chipset install without issues but the MEI drivers will not install.   I get a message that the computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the software.    In the Bios there is a listing for ME but it says N/A.   I don't see any options in the bios to activate or in anyway configure ME.   I assume ME is the Management Engine and that either there is a bad chip or firmware which causes the issue with not being able to install the drivers.    Is there a way to fix this problem or at least confirm if it is a hardware or software issue??

Bruce

• 1. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the community.

I understand you have been trying to install Management Engine Interface driver.

I have checked your motherboard specifications but this model does not seem to support that feature.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X79DELUXE/#specifications

The fact that your computer BIOS says ME "n/a" it may be a generic BIOS for Asus boards, you may need to update the BIOS.

Please check with Asus about Management Engine Interface support for your motherboard model.

support.asus.com

Allan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
            rbwillnj

I guess, during my countless hours talking with Asus support, I have never asked if ME is supported, and they have never said it was not.  The MEI driver is part of their driver package for that board, they have provided updates to the driver, and they act surprised that I am having any trouble installing the driver.  It never occurred to me that ME might not be supported.   I do get the PCI Simple Communications error in Device Manager (Windows 7-64) which I understand to be an error that occurs when the MEI driver is not properly installed.    Would I still get that error if ME is not supported on the board?

• 3. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
              allan_intel

Thanks for coming back to the community.

If Intel Management Engine Interface is supported on your computer, the BIOS may say "MEI" or Intel Management Engine Interface, enable/disable, not only ME.

If you would like to know if Management engine is supported, please install the latest driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23276&keyword=intel+management+engine&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

Allan.

• 4. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
                rbwillnj

Thank you for the response.   That driver like every other MEI driver version I have tried will not install.   I get the message that the "Computer does not meet the minimum requirements to install the software"

I have gone back to Asus to specifically ask if my motherboard supports the Intel Management Engine.   The tech I spoke to thinks it does, but he is going back to the design department to get a definitive answer.

I will keep you posted.

• 5. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
                  ande4905

Look in your device manager for a device called 'PCI Simple Communications Controller' and a device error symbol next to it. Try scanning for hardware changes also and there could be something wrong with a core driver of your computer that could only be fixed by re-install of the OS, it could be motherboard hardware failure.

• 6. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
                    rbwillnj

I did hear back from Asus and they did say that the X79 Deluxe motherboard does support the Intel Management Engine, even though they do not specifically mention it in the specs.   Also, the "ME" in bios which in my case says N/A is referring to the Management Engine.   It is looking more and more like a hardware problem.  Asus is finally sending me another motherboard.

I do get an error in device manager for PCI Simple Communications when I do a startup from a power off state.  At the same time I get an error in device manager for the Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.   When I restart the computer, both errors go away???   So every morning, I have to start up the computer, then restart it before I can get a network connection.

• 7. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
                      rbwillnj

I received and installed the new Motherboard from Asus and it Fixed all of the problems I was having.   Where the ME Version in Advanced Bios once said N/A, it now says ME Version 8.1.40.146.  I was able to install the Management Engine Driver without difficulty.   The new board also corrected the problem I was having with erratic USB Port performance.

I should also mention that on start up from a power off state, I no longer get the PCI Simple error or the error with the Intel Gigabit Network Connection.  I no longer have to restart the computer to get Network/Internet connectivity.

Bruce

• 8. Re: Intel Management Engine Driver Won't Install
                        allan_intel

Thanks for testing and posting your results.

Allan.