7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2014 10:28 AM by andrewa

Cannot open the Arduino in win 7

zijue

I'm trying to update the firmware of my Intel Galileo with Arduino IDE, but I cannot run the IDE in my win7 x64. The Arduino is downloaded from http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23171/eng/Intel_Galileo_Arduino_SW_1.5.3_on_Windows_v0.7.5.zip. When I double clicked the arduino.exe, it shows sth for a sec and disappears soon. I've tried the following ways, but none works:

1. Run it in cmd, but there's nothing printed by the arduino.
      2. Change the locale to US locale.
      3. Try "arduino.exe --l4j-debug" cmd as stated here Cannot open the Arduino IDE in Windows 7 x64, but nothing shows as in there.
      4. Try to run it in a win7 x86 machine but fails.
      5. Install both 32bit and 64bit jre.

I can run the Arduino IDE in my Ubuntu 12.10 in the vmware, but I cannot update the firmware of my Intel Galileo because the "Tools | Serial Port" is light gray and thus cannot be chosen.

What else should I do so as to run the Arduino IDE? Or Is there another way to update the firmware? Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
          Propst

That seems odd.  Some initial questions I'd check are:

• Did you fully extract the Arduino folder to your disk (as opposed to running from the zip)?
          • Is the path that you're running from reasonably short?  Sometimes long paths (>256 characters) cause strange problems.  You might try extracting to the root of your hard drive.
          • It shouldn't be necessary but you may want to try running the arduino.exe as an admin.  That shouldn't be a long-term solution but might give some hints.
          • 2. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
            Intel_Jesus

Hi zijue,

Are you outside of the United States? There is a known issue if the locale is different than the US. The workaround is to change the locale settings. To change the settings go to Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region -> Region and Language -> Formats (tab) from the format dropdown select “English (United States)”.

Regards,

Intel_Jesus

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
              zijue

Yes, I'm outside of the US. As I put in my question, I've already changed the locale settings which didn't work, neither in my computer with win7 64 nor in another computer with win7 x86. But fortunately, it can run in my roommate's laptop, even if his locale setting is NOT English(US). My roommate prefers to install an ENGLISH VERSION operating system, while the os of the two computers I tried are not English version. So the reason is related to the language, maybe not the locale setting, but the os I installed in my computer. Thank you very much for your answer.

• 4. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
                zijue

Thank you very much for your answer. When I tried to run the arduino.exe, I've already in the settings you mentioned.

I think I've already found the reason. And maybe I can never run the arduino.exe unless I install a new ENGLISH VERSION windows operating system.

• 5. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
                  noalac

Just additional information, since you have solved the problem.

Maybe you can try the Locale Emulator when launching the arduino IDE. Here is the project link.

xupefei/Locale-Emulator · GitHub

It can change the locale and language environment for the particular application.

Anyway, you can use your roommate's laptop, or install an English version OS on your own. That is the most direct way.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
                    qiki

Thinks, I have met the same problem too. When I use Locale-Emulator everything is find.

• 7. Re: Cannot open the Arduino in win 7
                      andrewa

I met the same problem, and this works to me. Thanks a lot!