2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 9:01 AM by jsl

Heat issues, D945PWM

jsl

I've been monitoring an overheating system since its integration in 2006. 

I've already tried the basics, like reseating the mobo to make sure there were no shorts, etc. 

Can anyone offer any insights into this?  Thanks.

Specs:

D945pwm

Thermaltake Bigwater

2G 533 RAM

1 SATA

2 IDE

PCIE Nvidia 6200LE

Ultra D0406, #ULT-500P; 500W PS, +3.3 @ 20A, +5V @ 32A, +12 @ 28A (12V Max Draw = 336W, separate rails)

Accounting for other components, the power supply probably should be 550W or more.  The power supply seems a little small, however it always shows rock-solid voltages in testing with an equivalent load.  The system has been rock solid until recently; but it has always had a slight odor of burnt carbon, like burning resistors; and a slight odor of overheated plastic.  It has fans blowing on the cpu power components and RAM power components.

The board has always seemed to run excessively hot in all zones:

Zone 1:  135F

Zone 2:  124F

Processor:  65C

The coils and the T40s around the CPU get too hot to touch and measure 124F to 135F. 

I've tried the Scythe 1100P and the Thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsinks, both should be adequate for the 135W CPU, but they were not.  The Thermaltake Bigwater allows me to use the CPU continuously at 100% capacity on both cores at a temperature of 65C even when it is overclocked to 3424 MHz.  It Idles at 62-63C, sometimes, not often, it gets down to 52C. 

Sounds like a CPU issue doesn't it?  However, I've recently found scorching on the power supply's 12V 4-pin connector.  There is no damage to the mainboard's header.  It seems to indicate that the power supply is too small after all, causing excessive current flow. 

I was thinking about putting in a 600W power supply, with these specs: 

3.3 @ 40A, 5 @ 40A, 12 @ 20A, Max Draw = 600W.

That seems like it might be worse than the 500W, because of the 12V current capacity and the rails are not divided.  Any advise on this?

Could this be a defective board?  Thanks again.

• 1. Re: Heat issues, D945PWM
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Assuming that you are using supported hardware:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945pwm/sb/CS-026575.htm

To be honest, the temperatures that you said in the notes dont seem to be quite a lot for the CPU. Because 65 degrees seem okay for pentium/d family, and the 135f  = 57.3 degrees celcius which is still okay.

The best thing to do is to check on the website below:

Get the SL number of the CPU and check the thermal specs from:-

http://ark.intel.com

Make sure to have the latest bios for the board.

Install the Software Intel Desktop Utilities to see if it points any voltage errors.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2352&DwnldID=15253&strOSs=All&OSFullName=AllOperatingSystems&lang=eng

Now regarding the burnt smell, this can be something bad, it can be an issue with the board and power supply, so it is best to identify it asap and get it replaced before something wrong happen with the CPU as well.

High temperatures can due to:

a) bad integration
          b) PSU not ATXv2.2
          c) Chassis is not TAC (Thermally Advantage Chassis)
          d) BIOS Issues.

Steps to try:
          Re-integrate the cpu with new clean thermal paste.
          Update the BIOS of the board.

If not, fixed, try the system out of the chassis as a test.
          Make sure that you have a good PSU as well.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 2. Re: Heat issues, D945PWM
            jsl

Thanks for the reply, and the information about those temperatures. I was afraid to act, not knowing if the temperatures were excessive, and needed the encouragement.

After a careful inspection, I popped in a 630W power supply, it seems to have solved the problem. No more smells.  Thankfully, everything is working, and there is no apparent damage.

The motherboard is now cooler, current temps are:

processor: 117F

Zone 1: 100F

Zone 2:  88F

The burned smell was from a melted plastic connector and one of the current limiting resistors in the Ultra power supply.  It may have been over amped, but it was probably just a defective all along.  I didn't catch it because the voltages were all stable, and still are under test.

I also noticed that the UPS kept beeping when devices that were not attached to it, but were on the same breaker, were turned on, now it is not.  I don't know if that means anything, just thought it was worth mentioning.