2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 7:28 PM by Propst

root pw required?

Bee_013

Hi,

I'm running Poky 9.0.2 with a telnet connection. I'd like to login as root and from what I've been reading there should be no password.

Yet when I try to login it requests a password and when I just hit Enter (no password) it keeps saying 'Login incorrect'. I haven't changed anything on the system, only did tutorial 3 (Connecting to Linux through telnet). I've been trying root, Root, ROOT, ... login always incorrect?

Is there a password which I should know or is it something else I'm not doing right?

Kind regards,

---

Using LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5, nobody got this issue? Because I only went through the Getting Started file, prepared the SD-card, booted from SD-card and uploaded this sketch:

void setup() {

// Telnet Setup

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh");

system("echo setup > /dev/ttyGS0");

}

void loop() {

// Get IP

system("ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr:' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{print $1}' > /dev/ttyGS0");

sleep(10);

}

I'm using Putty to connect and everything seems to work well except I can't login as root..?

Message was edited by: Bart Remans

root.png

• 1. Re: root pw required?
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi Bee_013

There is no need to log in, you are already inside Linux, if you enter the command ls you would be able to see the list of directories, take a look at this link: https://communities.intel.com/thread/45455 . But if you want to login as root you need to enter the command ssh root@<ip-address>

Regards
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: root pw required?
            Propst

The default for me on v0.7.5 was root with no password.

If you think there is a password set, you can run this sketch to clear it.

void setup() {

// give yourself 5 seconds to open the serial console so you

// can see if there are any errors

sleep(5);

// clear the root password

system("passwd -d root &> /dev/ttyGS0");

}

void loop() {

sleep(99999);

}

1 of 1 people found this helpful