cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel DC S3700 and RHEL 6

VHunj
New Contributor

Hello,

I would need help with partitioning 800 GB version of Intel DC S3700 SSD and installation of RHEL 6 on it.

The more papers I read, the more confused I get.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technology-briefs/ssd-partition-alignmen... Here on page 5 is stated that current Intel Data Center SSDs have 8 KB and 16 KB pages, but on the next page there are illustrations of partitions with 4 KB pages. Physical block size for S3700, stated http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/ssd-dc-s3500-nexenta-solutions-bl... here on page 16, is 4 KB.

I'm planing of using XFS file system for the drive and the system will be dealing mainly with large files, what file system block size should I use and what's / can be the physical block size for this drive? Also, written in this blog /community/itpeernetwork/blog/2014/01/23/20-questions-on-ssd-2-which-ssd-is-right-for-your-workload here, one of three major things that can decrease Write Amp is increase in block size from 4k.

Should the SSD security erase be performed before partitioning - have been using the drive for few tests?

What I/O alignment and I/O size information does the drive provide (physical_block_size, logical_block_size, alignment_offset, minimum_io_size, optimal_io_size) and what values should be / are specified for this drive?

Which partition tool should I use: fdisk, parted or something else?

HP Z800 has no UEFI support, should I use MBR as partition format or use bios_boot as partition 1 and GPT the rest of the drive?

Should I enable TRIM support on the filesystem through discard mounting options in FSTAB or run fstrim periodically through cron?

I'm planing to use noatime, delaylog and nobarier option for mounting XFS and throttle-max:32 for SATA NCQ max que depth.

For what directories do You recommend the use of tmpfs?

For Linux tuning, I'll change swappiness to 40 and elevator to deadline.

Thank You in advance for answers and would appreciate any additional recommendation or advice.

Kind regards

1 REPLY 1

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hello vhunjek, please allow us more time to investigate.