12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 2:53 AM by Aaditto

No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC

JesperOE

Hi there.

We have bought a Intel NUC kit, but the serialnumber is missing in the BIOS, so our asset manegment system is complaining :-(

Is it an error or by design that the serielnumber is missing in the BIOS?

And if it is by design, is there a way to enter the serialnumber in the BIOS?

/Jesper

• 1. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
          lhill

Hi Jesper,

This is definitely not expected behavior. In the Board Information section of BIOS, you should see several factory-installed bits - Manufacturer, Product Name, Version, and Serial Number. So, I'll need to get some more information about your NUC.

- What model NUC kit do you have?

- What is the SA# and serial number on the label on the bottom of the chassis?

- Is there anything else missing in the Board Information section of BIOS?

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
            JesperOE

Hi Lois.

I have a lot of information in the Board Information Section of the BIOS, but not in the System Information, please se the attached picture.

How do i get the serialnumber entered in the system information, I need to be able to run this command "wmic bios get serialnumber" and get the serialnumber in return.

/Jesper

WP_20140324_002 (2).jpg

• 3. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
              lhill

Hi Jesper,

OK, this makes more sense. The serial number in the System Information is part of the SMBIOS that you can set yourself, using the Intel Integrator Toolkit (ITK), available at Download Center.

ITK lets you customize the BIOS on the fly, using the option for "Customize this Computer's BIOS file". You'll be able to set an SMBIOS serial number with ITK.

Regards,

Lois

• 4. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                TobiasUsingIntel

Are there a solution to this issue? I downloaded the Intel Integrator Toolkit (ITK), installed the MSI on an Intel NUC, ran the software, filled in a serialnumber, updated the BIOS with a machine reboot. Afterwards the serialnumber can be found using WMIC.

Is there a command line tool that works using WinPE to set the "System Information / Serial number" ? I need to read the serialnumber using WMIC.

• 5. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                  TobiasUsingIntel

Found the solution. Using vcustw64.exe contained in the ITK download. This command will set the model name:

vcustw64 -SMBIOS -SP=NUC -QUEUE="%TEMP%\i.txt" -APPLYQUEUE

• 6. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                    Patri_Aa97

I have a Intel nuc NUC5CPYH and I can't find the motherboard in the integrator tool

• 7. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                      lhill

Hi Patri_Aa97,

You can first download and save the .BIO file from Download BIOS Update [PYBSWCEL.86A]. Then, in ITK, choose the option to "Customize a BIOS file (edit a locally saved BIOS file). The option to "download and customize" does not work right now, due to changes in the backend database.

Regards,
                      Lois

Intel

• 8. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                        Aaditto

Hello Lois,

I know this is a very old thread... However, this is the only thread I could find that comes close to my situation.

I have an Intel Desktop board (DG41WV), with a Pentium Dual-core CPU, 32-bit OS, x64-based processor (originally, the system ran Win XP - was upgraded to Win 8.1 - and has now 'auto-upgraded' to Win 10)

I have a similar situation as in the original post (JesperOE 21-Mar-2014 08:03)...

My BIOS screen...

Main> Additional System Information -->

Does not show ANY of the values (following a series of crashes/ issues)!

Originally, it DID show values for the following:-

(System) Serial Number

(Desktop board) Product Name

(Desktop board) Version

(Desktop board) Serial Number

Now, as per your suggestion to the original post, I have downloaded the Intel Integrator Toolkit (ITK).

You say that...

"ITK lets you customize the BIOS on the fly, using the option for "Customize this Computer's BIOS file". You'll be able to set an SMBIOS serial number with ITK."

However, when I run the ITK, it DOES NOT show me ANY of the Desktop board items, within the SMBIOS customisation panel!

Though it DOES show me and allow me to 'edit' values for the 'System'.

Is this normal?

If so, then is there any OTHER way that I can 're-build'/'update' the information for the MoBo?

Thanks in advance...

• 9. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                          N.Scott.Pearson

The short answer is no. These parameters are set in the factory and cannot be changed in the field.

• 10. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                            Aaditto

Hello again, Scott!

When you say "short answer"... does that, by any chance, imply that there is a 'long answer' which might get the job done? I guess not!

In fact, you have interacted with me, on another thread, about this particular series of issues, some time back - and your final suggestion was that I basically let it go...

But as you can see, I am being headstrong and not following your advise!

You say that "These parameters are set in the factory and cannot be changed in the field"... however, when I ran the ITK - downloaded the BIOS through the ITK programme-prompt, and tried to fill-in the details within the SMBIOS customisation section - it DID allow me (apparently) to INSERT (and 'save') the System Details (and it also would allow me to add Chassis Details) - it's just the Desktop Board Information section which was MISSING from the SMBIOS customisation-pane.

(I have NOT flashed that new, 'customised' BIOS file - so I don't know if the 'customised' System Details will actually SHOW in my BIOS screen or not)

My question:-

Is it a fact that...

'System Details' and 'Chassis Details' are part of the SMBIOS

But...

'Motherboard Details' are NOT a part of SMBIOS?

Thanks again.

• 11. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                              N.Scott.Pearson

No, the System, Chassis, Board and BIOS information are all part of the data that is stored in the SMBIOS Structure Table (and, in fact, a whole lot more; see http://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0134_2.7.1.pdf for more details). The strings that can be modified using ITK are limited to those that are associated with the SMBIOS System and Chassis data structures. The strings that are associated with the Board and BIOS data structures are read-only once the board leaves the factory, however.

...S

• 12. Re: No Serialnumber in BIOS on Intel NUC
                                Aaditto

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the clarification.