3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2014 2:38 PM by AlexT_Intel

Galileo network issue

LarsR

Been tinkering with my new Galileo a few days and I was wondering why the little thing always has the Orange led on the network connector lit, even if I don't have anything connected to it. Shouldn't that thing be off until some link is made?

Also, I've noticed that connections to my Cisco 2960 switch is failing because udhcpc starts sending out requests the very second ifup is issued to eth0, even though libphy isn't reporting the link up untill a few seconds later. That means that udhcpc is running out of retries before the link is stable.

Now, I haven't tried any "dumb" switch yet, so maybe thats why noone seems to have mentioned it before. I'll have to try it at some point. I'm seeing the same behaviour on the vanilla SPI image for both BSP 0.7.5 and 1.0.0. Tinkering with an SD card full image some time this weekend.

I'm wondering if anyone else have seen this and if there's any fix around to make udhcpc wait until libphy says a-ok to the link.

• 1. Re: Galileo network issue
          AlexT_Intel

I have a home-grade router (Asus WL-500gp) and with MAC address "access control" being enabled (and adding to the overall delay) I haven't ever seen full timeouts. Maybe just the first request, but as long as it shoots out several, I've never seen it failing completely unless the network is disconnected.

What I can suggest you is to adjust all/one of the retries/timeout/tryagain settings for the udhcpd: Man online - udhcpc (8)

I don't have the image or Galileo in front of me to check where they set that, but it should be either in one of the init scripts under /etc/init.d or in the network config scripts under... can't recall, IIRC /etc/sysconfig/network or something.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Galileo network issue
            LarsR

I flashed your SPI image for 1.0.0 and I'm seeing the same thing.

I also loaded your SD image for 1.0.0 and the issue is no longer present here.

So in short, I think the SPI image is little more than a novelty to get the SD up and running;

there's simply not enough space in the SPI to get anything useful crammed in there.

In any case, I'm happily poking away at the board now that ethernet and sshd is running reliable.

Thank you for all your work here; it's appreciated.

• 3. Re: Galileo network issue
              AlexT_Intel

You're welcome, I'm glad to help. :-)

Though the results you've got are interesting. As far as I understand the udhcpd part as well as naturally drivers are absolutely the same in SPI and full images, so such a difference in behavior is probably a result of something else. Maybe as simple as other services (like sshd and others), which present in full image and absent in SPI, when loading on bootup simply slow things down a little bit and that creates conditions for successful dhcp request. Just guessing :-)

In my setup with the abovementioned router it was getting the address fine with both images.