1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 11:55 PM by hendry

Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only

jhwinters

I have a NUC D54250WYB running BIOS version 18.

If I boot with a USB keyboard connected, but not a mouse, I can get into the BIOS screens by pressing F2, but then the system does not respond to any other keypresses apart from Ctrl-Alt-Del.

If I plug in a mouse as well, then the keyboard works fine in the BIOS.  I have tried several keyboards and got the same effect with all of them.

Is this a known problem with the NUC BIOS?

Cheers,

John

• 1. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
          jhwinters

I've just tried BIOS version 21 but it made no difference.  I did some more tests and have some further information.

It's not enough just to plug in the mouse, you have to do something with it.  Simple presence of the mouse is not enough to get the keyboard working.  You need to use the mouse to click on something (e.g. the input field at the top of the screen) and then the keyboard suddenly springs into life.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone else observes this behaviour? Can someone try booting their NUC with a keyboard connected but no mouse and see whether the BIOS screens work?  Someone at Intel even?

• 2. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
            lhill

Hi John,

Please try updating to the latest BIOS version - 0025 - which included an update to the Intel Visual BIOS and addressed a problem where the keyboard does not work in BIOS. It's here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23697&lang=eng&OSVersion=&DownloadType=BIOS

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 3. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
              jhwinters

I've just tried BIOS version 25.

The BIOS screen now appears much smaller.  Previously it occupied the whole of the 24" monitor, but now it's a relatively small rectangle in the middle of the monitor.

No difference to the keyboard problem though.  The system clearly recognises that the keyboard is there, because the F2 key gets you into the BIOS screens.  Similarly, if you press F7 at the initial prompt to do a BIOS upgrade, that too works and the keys work to enable navigation through the choices.  But if you press F2 at the initial prompt and go into the BIOS screens, no further keypresses produce any reaction except Ctrl-Alt-Del.  You need to plug in a mouse and make some sort of initial input with it before the keyboard will work.

Surely this is the sort of thing which should be tested *before* the software is released?

• 4. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                lhill

Hi John,

So, I just now have tested this NUC model here with only a keyboard attached and I can move around the screen. I do notice that to move the active area around, I have to use the down arrow or tab key first, but then all the directional arrow keys work ok.

Please confirm whether or not using a down arrow or tab key still fails on yours. Then, I'll need to know more about your keyboard configuration: make/model, are you using any sort of adapter to connect,

In regards to our testing, I assume this usage model wasn't tested because it's not one that a lot of people use.

Regards,

Lois

• 5. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                  jhwinters

Yes, I'm trying a wide range of keys including down arrow and tab.  These are the first I try, because I want to navigate around the screen.  What's noticeable is that no field seems to be highlighted to start with.  Once I've clicked on a field with a mouse, then I can move the highlight with the cursor and tab keys, but without the mouse I can't do that initial click and so can't get anywhere.

I've now tested this with firmwares 18, 21 and 25.  All behave the same.

There is nothing else plugged in to the NUC apart from the keyboard (and mouse when testing with a mouse too).  There is no adapter of any sort - just the keyboard plugged in to the top rear USB port (taking the rear to be the side with the Ethernet port).

I've tested with three different keyboards and all gave the same result.

A Das Keyboard - a very expensive individual key keyboard which I usually use for extended keyboard sessions.

A Logitech K120.  A good vanilla keyboard from a mainstream manufacturer.

And the one I tried first - a small keyboard which came with an Acer Aspire Revo2.  It's an Acer KU-0906.  This is the one which I generally use first on headless systems because it is compact.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the keyboard, because both the initial boot screen (F2, F7, F10) respond fine to all of the keyboards, as indeed does the BIOS upgrade dialogue which you get to if you press F7 at the first screen.  Just the BIOS screens themselves don't seem to cope with keyboard input only.

You'd be amazed how many people run computers with just a keyboard (or indeed, no keyboard at all) attached.  The NUC is ideal for a RAIS installaion (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Servers).

John

• 6. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                    lhill

Hi John,

Thank you for the thorough explanation... this is very odd indeed. Please provide the SA# of your NUC (it's on the label on the bottom of the chassis). I'll be sure I'm testing with the same model you have. And I'll ping the BIOS engineers about this as well.

Lois

• 7. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                      lhill

Hi John,

The BIOS engineer thinks that somehow the BIOS loses focus completely.

When you go into BIOS with both mouse and keyboards, you probably notice a red/orange border around the search box at the top - focus is working. When you have only the keyboard attached, is that red/orange border missing? That would mean focus is off somewhere where it shouldn't be.

It may be some odd graphics behavior. Let's explore how you are connected to your display:

- What type monitor/TV are you connected to?

- Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI?

- Are you connecting through a device like an AV receiver? If so, if you connect directly to the display, does this problem still happen?

- Are you using any sort of adapter, like HDMI-to-DVI?

Thanks,

Lois

• 8. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                        jhwinters

Yes, the red/orange border is missing.  It doesn't appear until I click on one of the fields with the mouse.

It's a 24" iiyama monitor.  Model ProLite E2409HDS.

HDMI connection

No - no AV receiver.  The monitor is plugged direct into the HDMI port on the NUC.

No - the monitor has its own HDMI port so I'm using a simple mini-HDMI to HDMI lead.

John

• 9. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                          lhill

Thank you. If you can also provide me the SA# from the label on the bottom of the chassis, I can finish up my report to engineering.

Lois

• 10. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                            jhwinters

Hmmmm.  Problem.

The board is built in to a TranquilPC case, which doesn't carry the SA# on the outside.  I'm not currently in a position to dismantle it (always assuming the SA# is on the board itself).

No problem I though - I have a new D54250WYKH sitting here so I'll get that out and try it.

The weird thing is that that one works fine.  It has BIOS version 21 out of the box (the other one had version 18 to start with) and moving the input highlight works fine with just a keyboard.  The SA# on the working unit is SA H25101-102.

Is there any way I can get the SA# (or other identifier) from the misbehaving board by any kind of software interrogation.  It's running Linux so I can probe most things.

John

• 11. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                              jhwinters

I should add that I tested the new unit with the same keyboard, same monitor, and even the same monitor lead.

John

• 12. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                                lhill

Hi,

Does it make any difference at all if you plug the keyboard into one of the front ports?

If you could run the utility at Intel® System Identification Utility - Identify Your Product and send me the resulting report in a private message, I'll be able to get the product id that I'm looking for.

Interesting that this only happens on the one in the Tranquil case - I'll add that tidbit of information to my report for engineering.

Thanks,

Lois

• 13. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                                  jhwinters

At a first glance that utility seems to be Windows-only.  I haven't used Windows in 15 years, and don't even possess a copy.  I can however probe through all the usual Linux /proc interfaces.

John

• 14. Re: Can't control NUC BIOS with a keyboard only
                                    lhill

Oh, sorry.. you did say that already. In BIOS, go the Home Page 2, where you will see a section called Board Information. What is the version listed there?

1 2 Previous Next