5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 9:12 AM by allan_intel

Intel NUC D34010WYK PROBLEMS WITH BOOTING AND WINDOWS INSTALLATION

Jean_Baptiste

Dear Intel,

I am writing you this message concerning the INTEL NUC D34010WYK you are so proud of. I have bought two of these units hoping that I can install a copy of Windows 7 64 bit ultimate. I have also bought two SSD units,  SSDMCEAW120A401  SSD 530 120GB Intel Solid State Drives - SSD, and some RAM, the CORSAIR CMSO8GX3M1C1600C11 ( I think you should also provide units already equipped with RAM and SSD).

I connected a keyboard, mouse, video connector, the power supply and went to work hoping no major drawbacks.But then all sorts of problems started to appear on both units, VERY DISAPPOINTING !

First, one unit would not let me boot from USB key. I have tried to update the BIOS version, but guess what... NO BIOS UPDATE whatsoever (although I have tried it in three ways based on you onsite tutorials) ! Same hing with the other one: no BIOS update, in spite of numerous attempts.

Second, the units CRASH randomly when entering BIOS, selecting boot devices or in the middle of Windows Install (usually there are thick horizontal lines of color appearing on the screen).

The first unit decided suddenly that it will accept USB 3.0 keys, but would not go through with the Windows installation.

The same problem with the second unit. I have narrowed down the problem with the USB driver (proudly displayed by the two units). It seems that if I let a USB 3.0 key into the ports, the unit will not even boot sometimes, crash and eventually display the Blue Screen in the middle of a Windows installation.

The only thing that appears to be working and recurrent is the BOOT via LAN alternative.

Therefore, Intel, would you be so kind to tell me how to install my Windows 7 over the network? I think you owe me that much (and maybe other customers who have bought the same product).

Best regards,

Jean Baptiste

• 1. Intel NUC D34010WYK PROBLEMS WITH BOOTING AND WINDOWS INSTALLATION
          Nikko

Same problem here : i installed intel's usb 3.0 drivers for windows 7 64 bits and since i rebooted, my Nuc 2820 doesnt recognise the keyboard-mouse (usb plugs ?) anymore so i cant even log in my own machine :(

The same keyboard and mouse works without problem... inside visual bios. Obviously it's the usb 3.0 driver that is faulty, everything worked fine before (but with a missing USB 3.0)!!

Mouse and keyboard sounds like an elementary "feature" on a 2014 computer, it is not serious from a big company like Intel to offer on their official website such a bugged driver, i'm disapointed.

How can i remove the crappy USB 3.0 driver? Is there a new (working) driver planned ?

• 2. Intel NUC D34010WYK PROBLEMS WITH BOOTING AND WINDOWS INSTALLATION
            Nikko

Oops... I was so mad about intel's crappy driver that i replied in the wrong thread. Sorry ;)

• 3. Re: Intel NUC D34010WYK PROBLEMS WITH BOOTING AND WINDOWS INSTALLATION
              allan_intel

That isn't working right. Sorry about the trouble. We'll work on getting it fixed.

Here is a link where you can get information about installing the operating system over LAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44RQGA2To5E

Jean_Baptiste, I recommend contacting Intel support for further assistance:

www.intel.com/chat and choose desktop support.

About the problem that Nikko is reporting on this thread, this is documented here:

https://communities.intel.com/message/227770#227770

Allan.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC D34010WYK PROBLEMS WITH BOOTING AND WINDOWS INSTALLATION
                Jean_Baptiste

Thank you Allan for your reply. Unfortunately, not even the LAN install could solve the problem. I have use SERVA to store the Windows files and act like an installation server for the NUC.

The install started well, the NUC obtained its IP address via the DHCP (i used a LAN port from a wireless router to connect the NUC and the server was connected via WiFi to the router) and started copying the installation files. However, just when it started installing the Windows driver for the LAN card, it froze (during several attempts): the image on the screen altered and nothing could be done.

Next I have tried one more last time to install a Windows 8 64 bit copy from a USB key, but with no success: just when it started running the setup, the unit froze again. I don't know what could be the cause of the problem, since the components I have added seem to work fine.

All I can say is that there is definitely something wrong with the USB ports and the BIOS, as the unit does not give signs of overheating, RAM or HDD issues (in fact, on one unit the setup got to copy just a small amount of Windows files on the HDD before the unit gave em the BSOD).

Again, thank you for the tutorial in the link, but I do no think it will work, as it will need an USB key Windows PE installation.

Seeing just how difficult it is to install the Windows, I do not think I will go with the NUC solution. I am doing a research project where these kind of problems problems have to be avoided.

However, the NUC looks promising, as it is the smallest and most compact power PC I have ever seen.I do not understand why Intel chose to ship it without a hard drive, RAM or WiFi, in my opinion these items should have been selected from a list of configurations by the user before buying the NUC (just like you select the memory capacity for your phone or in the old days where you could choose you PC configuration).

It is too bad I came across two units with problems, I don't think that the overall NUC series is bad. Can you recommend me complete similar unit from previous series or other parallel series of computing units with similar characteristics?

• 5. Re: Intel NUC D34010WYK PROBLEMS WITH BOOTING AND WINDOWS INSTALLATION
                  allan_intel

I am sorry to hear that you still have problems with this NUC model.

Here is a list of NUC comparison models:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/74483,76977,76978

For presales information I recommend accessing the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/training/na/emailform_ww.htm

Allan.