3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 7:35 AM by allan_intel

Understanding the Chipset drivers

123blackjack

Hi ,

i have a notebook with 965M chipset. Its a lenovo ideapad y510 which originally came witth vista. I am currently running the same with windows 8. Is it okay if i use the  Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility- infinst_autol.exe -overall) or should i use the one that came for the oem (intel chiset software).

The target device mentioned in the OEM intel chipset s/w is 965m and for the one in the infinst_autol.exe is 8 series chipset. Or the latest inf update utility contains all the required infs for the 965m also.

Also does the inf update utility contain any device drivers (including SATA AHCI) or only inf files is concern is that when i install chipset inf update utility it replaces my iastor.sys (Rapid storage) with storahci.sys. Your inputs will really be helpful.

• 1. Re: Understanding the Chipset drivers
          allan_intel

Thanks for posting your query at this community forum.

I see you currently have installed Windows 8 on your computer. I know the latest chipset driver is already included as part of the operating system package. In other words, the chipset driver of the operating system comes with necessary drivers to support the Intel chipset on your system.

Please bear in mind the INF update utility does not contain SATA AHCI drivers. If you need SATA drivers, they are available through different download. The latest SATA drivers supported by your Intel chipset is version 10.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20104&keyword=10.1&lang=eng

Allan.

• 2. Re: Understanding the Chipset drivers
            123blackjack

Hi,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. Is there any downside or benefits if i perform infinst_autol.exe -overall (the motive is just to have intel named in drivers details rather than MS)

Also the target device mentioned in the OEM intel chipset s/w is 965m and for the one in the infinst_autol.exe is 8 series chipset. Or the latest inf update utility contains all the required infs for the 965m also.

Does the OEM tweak anything inside chipset infs..

Also when i install inf update it is wiping out iastor.sys with storio.sys so does it wipe out already installed drivers.

• 3. Re: Understanding the Chipset drivers
              allan_intel

Thank you for getting back to our community. If you run the latest INF utility with a fresh operating system installation, it will update any Microsoft generic driver.

I know Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers can be modified according to your computer manufacturer and system design.

The latest chipset utility will contain all require INF for your chipset model.

Again, the INF update does not make any changes to iastor.sys.

Allan.