0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 2:03 PM by gnate

Will Intel finish development to make Galileo compatible with its datasheet?

gnate

I am concerned about the apparent lack of dedication from Intel to finish development of Galileo. There of obvious gaps it is performance in relation to its datasheet, and for months there is no incremental improvements. Will Intel close these gaps, or are we as a community expected to do this ourselves.

For instance, the datasheet, dated 07-Oct-2013 (six months ago), states "Of course, the Galileo board is also SW compatible with the Arduino SW Development Environment, which makes usability and introduction a snap." and yet there are missing essentials such as min(), max(), random(max), random(min,max), randomseed, etc. that are not "ported" yet.

There is a clear gap in "porting" essential libraries over such as interupts, pgmspace, and Ardunio. Not all of these can be blamed on the IO slowness (which could have been avoided if they had made the GPIO chip run on the SPI bus and the flash run on the I2C bus). Most of these library deficiencies are simply Intel not fleshing out Ardunio compatibility.

Another oversight is the datasheets claim that the "8 MByte Legacy SPI Flash whose main purpose is to store the firmware (or bootloader) and the latest sketch. Between 256 KByte and 512 KByte is dedicated for sketch storage. The upload happens automatically from the development PC, so no action is required unless there is an upgrade that is being added to the firmware." This is not true.

Also, the datasheet says that the board includes "An integrated Real Time Clock (RTC)", which is true, they just haven't provided a way to access it. (Users have developed methods to get at it,)

There are a whole list of deficiencies listed in the release notes, but no evident progress to resolve them.

I invested my time and money in to Galileo because of its rich features, (SD, ethernet, PCI Express, USB host, separate UART), but I'd like to know that Intel is working to complete the project it started. Or else, let the user community know that they need to start creating libraries themselves. Is anyone at Intel dedicated to Galileo? (Thanks all those intel employees that have been responding to the Maker Community.)