8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 3:15 AM by wawawawa

NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.

wawawawa

Hi All

I have a DC53427HYE with 16GB RAM and a Plextor mSATA 6G-128GB SSD

I've been running Debian amd64 successfully on my NUC for a couple of months and love it. I added a Gbps USB3 NIC and it sits in between my LAN and broadband running a whole bunch of services. It sits as a headless server in the corner and has been operating without issue.

I rebooted a few times today to take a "dd" image of the SSD to a USB3 drive as I have decided to install Proxmox as the base OS and run the Debian image as an OpenVZ container.

I installed Proxmox and then it would not restart. The NUC started acting a bit flaky.. It was not booting after restart so I would have to unplug and replug a couple of times.

I get the blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat with no output on the Graphics port (using Displayport).

I swapped out the RAM for a known good 8GB set and I was able to boot a couple of times - I got into Proxmox and there were no errors. I then booted up and upgraded the BIOS (using F7). It seems to be fine and I got the blue LED flashing on and off equally as expected for a BIOS upgrade.

Meanwhile the 16GB is now in my laptop and working flawlessly.

Now I cannot seem to get to the BIOS at all. I simply get the blue LED on for 0.5sec and then off for 3 or 4 sec (repeating).

Changing the jumper to get to maintenance mode also does not work.

Any ideas? Is this unit now dead?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

• 1. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
          wawawawa

If I leave the NUC for a couple of hours then it seems to be able to boot. Once it has done this I can restart at will with no issue.

However, if I pull the power out and replug it in then I need to wait a few hours.

Questions:

1 - What does "blue light on for 0.5s then off for 4s" mean? I cannot find this in the blink codes.

2 - Has anyone seen this problem?

3 - Do I need to RMA the NUC?

Thanks

• 2. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
            sylvia_intel

Hello Wawawawa, in order to find out what is causing this behavior it will be necessary to test the NUC using only minimal configuration and then start adding 1 component at the time in order to find out if any is causing this behavior.

Have you already tried a Low level format on your SSD before the installation of the operating system?

• 3. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
              wawawawa

Hi Sylvia_intel

Maybe I did not explain clearly. Apologies!  

Most of the time my NUC will not reach the Intel logo and BIOS screen. I get a dead screen with the blue LED power light flashing for 0.25s and then off for 3 or 4 sec. Some of the time the NUC reaches the Intel logo and boots up without error and runs perfectly. It was running for two days without a problem. I was able to warm-reboot many times without a problem. I powered it down to move it to a new location and now it will not start again. So, I tried some more testing.

Please tell me if I am not correct with the next two statements:

1. The NUC should be able to reach the Intel logo and BIOS screen and even boot (via PXE) without an SSD.

2. The NUC should be able to reach the Intel logo and BIOS with only one compatible RAM chip in the top slot.

With my NUC:

- I have removed the SSD and the NUC will not reach the BIOS.

- I have tried each of my RAM chips in the top slot on their own (DDR3 12800. 2x 4GB and 2x 8GB)

This same RAM works flawlessly in my Apple Laptop (Core i7 processor). Each pair of RAM chips passes a full default Memtest86+ run if I am able to get past the "Intel" screen and boot the NUC.

If the NUC does reach the "Intel" screen and boot then it is happy and fine. I am running Linux with OpenVZ and multiple virtualised containers and all is good. This has worked with both sets of RAM chips but it only boots one time in 50 attempts now.

So, it seems to me that the NUC is dead. I think I need to RMA it.

Can you explain the meaning of the blink code?  (i.e. on for one short flash then off for 3 or 4 seconds and repeat?)

Thanks for your time and your help!

• 4. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
                wawawawa

No response!

Anyway. I sent the NUC back to the vendor. They have been really, really helpful.

• 5. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
                  sylvia_intel

First of all I think the replacing of the NUC was the best option on this case. The troubleshooting you performed on this product was great.

I would appreciate if you can inform me the behavior of the replacement product once you receive it.

In regards to the "blink codes", this information is available on the TPS of the NUC, page 69.

Whenever a recoverable error occurs during POST, the BIOS causes the board’s front panel power LED to blink an error message describing the problem.

blink code.JPG

• 6. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
                    wawawawa

Hi Syliva

Thanks for this. I had already found this table with the blink codes.

The reason I asked a few times in the thread is that the blink codes I was seeing on the NUC are not listed in the table.

My code was: 0.25s on; 4s off; repeat.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SM

• 7. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
                      sylvia_intel

SM, this behavior could be related to overheating. Could you please send me a picture of how your NUC is installed?

Do you have a thermal pad close to the SSD?

• 8. Re: NUC will not boot. Blue LED for 0.5s then off for 3s and repeat.
                        wawawawa

Hi Syliva

Yes - this sounds like it could be the issue.

I do not have the NUC any more. It is with the company I bought it from.

However, it was on a shelf with good airflow and near no sources of heat. The room was never warmer than 20 deg C (68 deg F).

Yes, there was a thermal pad in between the SSD and case.

But, the machine would not boot to BIOS or Intel Logo even without the SSD.

As you say, it may be heat because if I left the NUC for a couple of hours then it would sometimes boot OK.

I think the issue is something in the initial booting process is detecting heat incorrectly as once it was booted it would run for days, under load without any problems.

We can probably close this thread now.

Thanks

SM