Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Windows 8/8.1 Intel HD 4000 Laptop Graphics Driver Problem!!!

JInig
Beginner

Hello!!!

I'm in in urgent need of some assistance concerning Intel® HD 4000 drivers for Windows 8/8.1 (x64) Here are my specs:

Asus K55A Notebook

Intel Core i3-3110M @ 2.40 GHz

Intel HD 4000 iGPU

Samsung 840 SSD 250 GB

Kingston HyperX 8 GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) RTM Build 9600 (CURRENT OS)

The problem is as follows... Originally my notebook came with Windows 8 (x64) Single Language GDR version on a 750 GB HDD... And HD 4000 drivers were v9.x (2828) I updated to v9.18.10.3257 and then Windows 8 updated it normally up to v10.18.10.3412... Now I noticed that with the v9.x(3257) driver I had Dx11.1 installed and hardware support for Dx11.1 and WinSAT ran and showed the Dx10/11 Graphics, DWM and Gaming scores... When Windows updated to the v10.x(3412) drivers... DirectX dropped to 11.0 hardware support, when my hardware actually supports 11.1...

Here's the doozy... On my SSD I have a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) RTM version Build 9600... And Windows 8.1 is FORCING me to install HD 4000 driver v10.x(3308) And WinSAT Graphics scores have dropped from a Gaming Score of 6.9 to 5.1 and the Dx10/11 part of the tests are no "0" and DirectX is now 11.2 installed and Hardware support is 11.0... I repeat my hardware supports Dx11.1 as it would show on Windows 8 running the v9.x series drivers... What is the deal??? Am I missing something??? I have horrible Windows 8.1 Desktop graphics quality... IE 11 and anything in Metro or "Change PC Settings" have very, very poor quality... all the letters are highly pixelated and distorted... On the desktop screen the icons are really blurry and the text is fuzzy... I don't get it!!! My notebook LED LCD screen is HD LED at 1367x768... HD 4000 is set to High Performance Mode... Why is it that with Windows 8 it does update to HD 4000 drivers v10.18.10.3412 from Windows Update and with Windows 8.1 Pro... Windows Update forces me to use v10.17.10.3308... How is that possible since its the same notebook!!! The only difference is me swapping the HDD with Win8 Single Language OEM to the SSD with Win8.1 Pro... I mean its the same exact hardware!!!

Any and ALL advice is greatly appreciated... THX in advance!!!

Message was edited by: J Sebastian Inigo&# 13; **UPDATE** I noticed that on Win8, it updates HD 4000 with WDDM Graphics Drivers... And on Win8.1 Pro they're not WDDM... And I can't update manually because it says I do no meet the minimum requirements... WinSAT aborts DX11/11 Assessments due to the graphics driver not being WDDM...

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello J@Sebastian80,

I am really sorry you are having problems but let me help you with this.

It is important to say that the Computer Manufacture set limitations and specific features that work with the original Operating System only. This means that if the Operating System is changed, you may lose special features of the product.

From my side, I can confirm that the latest Intel® driver support DirectX 11.1. You can check this information here:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23639/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3412_64.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23639/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3412_64.pdf

My best recommendation is to update the BIOS in your system to the latest provided by Asus and also update the Management Engine driver.

JInig
Beginner

Hello Kevin!

Thx for replying! I already updated my Intel® MEI to the latest available for my ME 8 to Intel® MEI v8.1.40.1416 with driver v9.0.0.1287 but its dated 12/17/2012... I also have the latest Chipset INF v9.4.0.1026... In Aida64 I can see my hardware supports DirectX 11.1 and when running on Intel® HD 4000 driver v3071 for Win7/8, the HD 4000 Control Panel System Information lists Dx11.1 as installed and Dx11.1 hardware supported... But as soon as I jump to 10.x drivers v3316, v3345 and v3412 I have Dx11.2 as installed but Dx11.0 as supported... Asus hasn't published a BIOS update since January 2013 for my model... And the Intel® HD 4000 driver for Win8.1 they published is that troublesome v3308 that Win8.1 also installs automatically from Windows Update... And they cause stability issues for my laptop sadly... I completely agree with your assessment that my laptop hardware basically is incompatible with Win8.1 Pro... Well at least by way of a clean installation... I want to think that maybe if I would have cloned the OEM Win8 onto my SSD and THEN upgraded to Win8.1 Single Language, that the drivers would have been carried over...

Do you have an idea as to the possible cause that the HD 4000 drivers don't install as WDDM??? I mean DxDiag says they are WDDM 1.3 and WHQL... But WinSAT doesn't recognize that as being true... Also why would the Basic Display Driver be running at the same time as HD 4000 drivers??? And WinSAT log states that I'm running on the basic drivers for some reason... Could it be that since Win8.1 is installed in UEFI mode and I have Fast Boot enabled in the BIOS and CSM disabled that possibly like you said I need a BIOS update??? The UEFI/BIOS does show a GOP version when Fast Boot is enabled and if I Enable CSM it shows a VBIOS instead.... Could I just Flash the GOP Rom to a newer version???

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The WDDM is the structure of the graphics driver therefore Intel® drivers are based on WDDM as well Microsoft drivers.

In regards, to your question about drivers, the system will run the driver installed only. In the case you install the Microsoft driver; it will be running Microsoft drivers but if you install the Intel® driver it will display all information about Intel®.

From my side, I recommend you doing a BIOS update in your system. Please check this link for more information about the WDDM Intel® support:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm

0 Kudos
JInig
Beginner

kevin_intel wrote:

The WDDM is the structure of the graphics driver therefore Intel® drivers are based on WDDM as well Microsoft drivers.

In regards, to your question about drivers, the system will run the driver installed only. In the case you install the Microsoft driver; it will be running Microsoft drivers but if you install the Intel® driver it will display all information about Intel®.

From my side, I recommend you doing a BIOS update in your system. Please check this link for more information about the WDDM Intel® support:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm

Hey Kevin!

Yeah I understand that, but the thing is, WIn8.1 Pro doesn't EVER offer WDDM 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 Drivers or even the LATEST drivers available... It only lists a "Intel® HD 4000 Graphics Family Driver" (Compatible Display Adapter) v10.18.10.3308... Even if I manually install a new driver from Intel® Win8.1 STILL forces the NON-WDDM 3308 driver... Like I mentioned when I swap to the OEM Win8 Single Lang. on the factory HDD... Win8 Auto Update DOES offer the WDDM 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 LATEST Driver form Intel. BUT it shows up with a different name: "Intel® HD 4000 Graphics Adapter(WDDM1.1, WDDM1.2, WDDM1.3)" Consequently on Win8... DirectX 10/11 DOES function correctly and WinSAT performs the Dx10 D3D Assessments with no issues and I get those Sub-Scores and a higher Desktop and Gaming score... As well as overall and noticeable desktop resolution and performance...

I have already updated the BIOS to the latest available from Asus with no change... Also in the Graphics Control Panel it DOESN'T detect the GOP Version like it should... It only says Video BIOS: 0.0... Here's a screenshot...

And on I see that Dx11.2 is installed but only Dx11.0 is supported... When I know I have Dx11.1 Hardware Support... Here's another shot:

Strangely the Intel® HD 4000 iGPU is not detected as the Video Adpater... It comes up as Intel® Ivy-Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller (MB GT2)

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi J@Sebastian80

It is important to say that the processor Intel® Core i3-3110M is a 3rd generation processor with Intel® HD Graphics 4000 controller and the supported DirectX Version on this controller is 11.0. You can check this information at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-033757.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-033757.htm

It is also necessary to say that the 'Installed DirectX* version' refers to the operating system's DirectX version. The Information Center's 'Supported DirectX* Version' refers to the Intel Graphics Driver's supported DirectX version.

The Video BIOS is updated when updating the BIOS so I recommend you updating the BIOS from the Computer Manufacture. Here is the website:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K55A/# support http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K55A/# support

In regards the information reported by AIDA64 EXTREME, I tested this software from my side and it was displaying the same information so I would think it may be reporting the data incorrectly or in a different way. I say this because we had some feedback about another application that was reporting incorrect information.

Here are the images of the system I tested with the Intel® Graphic & Control Panel and the AIDA64 Extreme software:

0 Kudos
JInig
Beginner

Hey Kevin!

Thx for the helpful info showing the same details as my results... Now, there is still one pending issue included in the data you provided... On the screen of your HD Graphics Panel, the Video Bios IS present and detected ok... But as you can see on the screenshot I provided for my panel I see Video BIOS 0.0! When I should see GOP Version instead of Video BIOS... Here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to...

The high-lighted area clearly detects and shows the GOP Version. In my BIOS I DO SEE GOP Version 3.0.14.1012...

I'm running in UEFI Mode... Fast Boot and Secure Boot are Enabled and I installed Win8.1 in UEFI Mode from a GPT FAT32 USB Stick... So my system should detect the GPU GOP Driver as being present... DxDiag doesn't detect the GOP driver as being loaded... I'm having a lot of graphics related issues and I can't figure out why??? With the OEM HDD running Win8 I don't have these problems!!! WIndows detects the HD 4000 correctly and I am able to automatically update using Windows Update to the latest available WDDM drivers as well as drivers from Intel® and everything runs smoothly... WinSAT works fine and so does DirectX... But NOT SO ON WIN8.1...

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The OEM images that the computers have preinstall are configured by the Computer Manufacture to work smoothly with the hardware of the computer so installing a retail version may be affecting the operating or performance.

As mentioned before, the VBIOS is pulled by the Graphics and Media control panel from the BIOS itself so my recommendation is to update the BIOS to latest.

0 Kudos
JInig
Beginner

kevin_intel wrote:

The OEM images that the computers have preinstall are configured by the Computer Manufacture to work smoothly with the hardware of the computer so installing a retail version may be affecting the operating or performance.

As mentioned before, the VBIOS is pulled by the Graphics and Media control panel from the BIOS itself so my recommendation is to update the BIOS to latest.

Hey Kevin!

Sorry for taking so long to reply... From my own research I have to agree with you that OEM installations have a specific configuration targeted for each laptop/PC model... More so when dealing with Win8/8.1, compared to Win7... And Asus does have a reputation for how they sometimes make it so difficult for USERS to "Clean" install a different OS other than the OEM installation... Although I do have to say that it shouldn't cause these issues when "Generic" Drivers are concerned... I mean it's a fresh and pristine OS environment with a "Clean" Win8.1 install... I would think that it should make things EVEN EASIER for installing Intel® drivers...

Now, about the Graphics & Media Control Panel... It does pick up the vBIOS... BUT ONLY if I boot Win8.1 WITH "LAUNCH CSM - ENABLED" (Non-UEFI Boot) set in BIOS... ONLY then does the vBIOS load and gets picked up... What I'm getting at is: When booting WITH UEFI... The Intel® EFI GOP driver is used instead of the vBIOS... Correct... The issue is the GOP Driver IS NOT BEING PICKED UP... As you can see in the image I previously posted... It depicts the GOP Version DOES get picked up by the Gfx Control Panel... And on my system I only get vBIOS Version "0.0" My argument is that MY Gfx panel IS NOT picking up the GOP driver!!! And only shows vBIOS 0.0 when it shouldn't even say vBIOS... It should say GOP Version... I have already updated to the latest vBIOS & EFI GOP driver... I also just "Clean" installed the latest HD 4000 driver v3496... With no change to the whole issue I've been describing here...

0 Kudos