3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 9:41 AM by kevin_intel

How to remove RST data from removed RAID drive

eng3

I have a SSD which was previously setup with a RST RAID1.

The computer is no longer used and the drive was pulled.

I re-partitioned and formatted the drive and am using it as a windows drive.

However, the RST Raid data is still somewhere in the drive.

If I goto device properties, the device name is "Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Device".  I find other references to Raid in other device properites.

when I goto Intel SSD Toolbox, it even still shows the other non-existant RAID1 drive.

How do I remove this data from the drive?

• 1. Re: How to remove RST data from removed RAID drive
          kevin_intel

Hi eng3,

Let me help you with this.

There are two ways to remove the raid structure in the HDD:

1. Connecting the HDD to the system where the RAID was created and removing the structure from the Option ROM or CTRL-I.

2. Running a low level format on the disk.

In case you do not have the previous system the easiest way would be the second option.

• 2. Re: How to remove RST data from removed RAID drive
            eng3

I have already put new data onto the drive.

Does doing either option destroy the data on the drive?

How do I perform a low level format on a Intel 320 SSD?  Is the the same as a secure erase?

• 3. Re: How to remove RST data from removed RAID drive
              kevin_intel

I regret to inform you that any of the ways will erase the information on the SSD. My recommendations would be to create a back first. The low level format is known also as secure erase and it can be down by doing the following:

If doing it from Windows environment:

1. Type CMD and then type the following and hit enter after every line:

• Diskpart (it will display information in regards to the tool)
              • list disk (it will show a list of your available disks with a number next to)
              • select disk # (replace the “#” with the number representing the drive you wish to clean)
              • clean all (after this it will stay at a blinking cursor during about 15 minutes for a 80GB drive)

If doing it from a windows bootable disk:

Boot from the Windows* installer CD, allow it to load the files, and get to the part where it allows you to choose the drives and partitions after the license agreement.

At this part press Shift-F10 this will load a DOS environment.

Type the following and hit enter after every line:

• Diskpart (it will display information in regards to the tool)
              • list disk (it will show a list of your available disks with a number next to)
              • select disk # (replace the “#” with the number representing the drive you wish to clean)
              • clean all (after this it will stay at a blinking cursor during about 15 minutes for a 80GB drive)