11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 2:04 PM by AlexT_Intel

BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions

cconnaker

Hi Guys - I see Intel has release BSP v1.0.0 here Download Center I read through the guides and it says this can be used for the Galileo boards.

I've got the software installed on an SD card, but I don't know how to create the firmware update files to update my Galileo board.

Can I use files from BSP v1.0.0 to update the firmware manually? How?

• 1. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
          cconnaker

Forget it. I now have BSP 1.0 running and the firmware updated on the Galileo.

• 2. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
            jesuse

Did you run into any issues in section 8 'Creating a flash image for the board" of the Quark_BSP_BuildandSWUserGuide?

The Makefile fails giving me this error.

Makefile:115: layout.mk: No such file or directory

• 3. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
              stid72

Be sure to remove any source (.gz) files after you expand them. This should be done before creating the symlink in section 8.

I had similar problems in compiling via SPI Flash tools using:

../../spi-flash-tools*/Makefile

Try with the following variant instead (remove the *):

../../spi-flash-tools/Makefile

This was my /tmp directory before I followed the section 8 steps with success:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 vagrant vagrant   27 Mar  7 09:29 grub-legacy -> grub-legacy_5775f32a+v1.0.0

drwxr-xr-x  2 vagrant vagrant 4096 Feb 28 04:17 grub-legacy_5775f32a+v1.0.0

lrwxrwxrwx  1 vagrant vagrant   19 Mar  7 09:25 meta-clanton -> meta-clanton_v1.0.0

drwxr-xr-x  9 vagrant vagrant 4096 Mar  7 03:12 meta-clanton_v1.0.0

lrwxrwxrwx  1 vagrant vagrant   18 Mar  7 09:25 Quark_EDKII -> Quark_EDKII_v1.0.0

drwxr-xr-x 21 vagrant vagrant 4096 Mar  7 03:03 Quark_EDKII_v1.0.0

drwxrwxr-x  6 vagrant vagrant 4096 Mar  7 02:55 Quark_EDKII_v1.0.0-svn_externals.repo

drwxr-xr-x  2 vagrant vagrant 4096 Feb 28 04:18 quark_linux

lrwxrwxrwx  1 vagrant vagrant   22 Mar  7 09:25 spi-flash-tools -> spi-flash-tools_v1.0.0

drwxr-xr-x  6 vagrant vagrant 4096 Feb 28 04:18 spi-flash-tools_v1.0.0

lrwxrwxrwx  1 vagrant vagrant   15 Mar  7 09:25 sysimage -> sysimage_v1.0.0

drwxr-xr-x  9 vagrant vagrant 4096 Feb 28 04:18 sysimage_v1.0.0

Stefano.

• 4. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                dtung

Is it possible to download the built Flash-missingPDAT.cap to Galileo board without UART cables? I tried to download from IDE for 0.7.5, it failed. The other methods (like section 10.1, 10.2 in the v1.0 BSP document) all need UART or special cable, am I correct?

I have survived up to now without UART cable, but to upgrade to v1.0, I have no choice but to get a UART cable?

Thanks, David

• 5. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                  rmm200

Has anyone figured out why the BSP source package for 1.0.0 is less than half the size of the 0.8.0 package?

What has been left out?

• 6. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                    dtung

If you talked about the Board_Support_Package_Sources_for_Intel_Quark_v1.0.0.7z package is only 2.5M, I think there is not much need to alert about. Compared to v.0.7.5 (I don't have v0.8.0), the main size difference is in Quark EDKII related files. The meta-clanton_vx.x.x.tar.gz files are about the same size.

• 7. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                      AlexT_Intel

And further down the road the reason seems to be that EDKII is now included as sources (that started with 0.9.0), while before that there were binaries+some sources. The firmware build process is now a bit longer, but less space is consumed :-)

• 8. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                        mhahn

well, if you have access you can use Dediprog as well.

If you need a serial cable I put a guide on how to build one (assuming you have a USB -> serial adapter) on https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/Serial%20Cable%20for%20Galileo.pdf

• 9. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                          Kalpesh

Hi Everyone,

We are using below command to build EDK

$ cd sysimage/sysimage.CP-8M-debug

$../../spi-flash-tools/Makefile

and found below error

========================

user@AHMCPU0772:/media/Common/ei_Intel_Galileo/BSP/sysimage/sysimage.CP-8M-debug$ ../../spi-flash-tools/Makefile

---------------------

| FV_MODULES directory (for recovery stage2) = ../../Quark_EDKII/Build/QuarkPlatform/PLAIN/DEBUG_GCC/FV/FlashModules

---------------------

rm -f image.ffs

../../spi-flash-tools/BaseTools/x86_64/C/bin/GenFw ../../meta-clanton/yocto_build/tmp/deploy/images/grub.efi -o ../../meta-clanton/yocto_build/tmp/deploy/images/grub.efi.fw -e UEFI_APPLICATION || { cat ../../spi-flash-tools/BaseTools/README.txt; exit 1; }

../../spi-flash-tools/BaseTools/x86_64/C/bin/GenFw: 1: ../../spi-flash-tools/BaseTools/x86_64/C/bin/GenFw: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

For convenience, these BaseTools binaries were pre-built for Linux

x86_64 from this source code:

BaseTools -r13937 http://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/branches/UDK2010.SR1/BaseTools

If these binaries are not compatible with your system then you must:

A. Either download and build these tools yourself; follow these instructions:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=Edk2-buildtools

B. Or you can re-use the ones embedded in EDKII if you have built EDKII from source.

After either A. or B. you should override the BASETOOLS Make variable

on the command line, for instance like this:

BASETOOLS=../Quark_EDKII/BaseTools/Source/C/bin   ../spi-flash-tools/Makefile

make: *** [../../meta-clanton/yocto_build/tmp/deploy/images/grub.efi.fv] Error 1

========================

What has been left out?

Regards,

Kalpesh

• 10. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                            Kalpesh

Hi guys,

We found solution.......

Acually BaseTools in "spi-flash-tools" package ware built for 64 bit Host Machine and we are using 32 bit Host Machine.

By manually compiling below code, we are able to generate Flash-missingPDAT.cap

$ git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/tianocore/edk2-BaseTools tianocore-edk2-BaseTools

$ cd tianocore-edk2-BaseTools

$ make all

use "tianocore-edk2-BaseTools/Source/C/bin/* " generated binaries instead of "/spi-flash-tools/BaseTools/x86_64/C/bin"

Regards,

Kalpesh

• 11. Re: BSP v1.0.0 Is Available, Now Firmware Questions
                              AlexT_Intel

There's also another way to fix that, suggested by MarcIII a while ago and validated to work, see the answer in this thread: Capsule Build 0.8.0