6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 11:07 AM by TPadden

SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager

mville

New PC build with BIOS SATA mode set to RAID mode. Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit with the f6flpy-x64 driver loaded during install.

Currently no other SATA drives are connected. In device manger my SSD is showing as:

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120G SCSI Disk Device.

What I want is the SSD to be SATA AHCI.

Why is the driver installing the SSD as a SCSI device and how do I fix this?

• 1. Re: SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager
          kevin_intel

Hi mville,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you with that.

There is some more information I would like to know from your system configuration, so can you please let me know what the board model you have is? To what SATA port is it connected to?

Also can you please explained if you have a raid configuration in your system?

• 2. Re: SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager
            mville

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 (flashed to the latest BIOS E7823IMS v.1.5 and I've run Restore Defaults)

Chipset: Intel H87 Express Chipset

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz

RAM: Corsair DDR3 4GB XMS3 PC3-10600 x 2 (8GB in total)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

DVD: Liteon IHAS124-14 24X

PSU: Corsair CX430

DIMM1:

DIMM2: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

DIMM3:

DIMM4: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

SATA Port 1: SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

SATA Port 2:

SATA Port 3:

SATA Port 4:

SATA Port 5: DVD Liteon IHAS124-14 24X

SATA Port 6:

BIOS SATA mode is set to RAID mode.

I intend on connecting 2 x Samsung 1TB SATA II HDD to SATA Ports 3+4 and configuring them as RAID 1 (mirror). Currently these drives are not connected.

• 3. Re: SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager
              kevin_intel

This is weird. Most of the times when doing fresh installation while having a SSD as bootable device, it should be visible under device manager as AHCI or RAID depending on the chipset mode. The SCSI should appear when using the SSD to accelerate the RAID or when the SSD is part of the RAID.

If possible, I recommend you reinstalling the Operating System but do not include the F6 drivers during the installation since these drivers come along with the Operating System.

• 4. Re: SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager
                mville

I asked MSI about this issue and they have replied saying the SSD showing as SCSI device is normal and not to worry about it.

FYI, installing Windows 8.1, the SSD appears in device manager as I expected:

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager
                  kevin_intel

Thanks for the feedback. It will be very useful for other users.

• 6. Re: SSD showing as SCSI device in device manager
                    TPadden

They weren't entirely correct. Windows is set up to automatically trim SSD's, and you can manually optimize (Trim)  them from the dfrgui window.  I don't think there is any way for windows to trim them if they aren't recognized as SSD's.