11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 3:50 PM by Intel_Raad

Blinking problem on Intel Galileo

Adynezu

Hello!

I just set up my Intel Galileo. I managed to install the drivers. I also updated the firmware. Now I want to load the first example, the "Blink". The problem is that after the upload, nothing happens (it doesn't blink). The serial port matches the one in Device Manager, and it is under 10 (COM 2). The board is set as Intel Galileo, so everything looks fine to me. I will paste now the messages I receive from arduino.

Binary sketch size: 49,058 bytes (of a 262,144 byte maximum) - 18% used

cygwin warning:

starting download script

MS-DOS style path detected: C:\arduino/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh

Args to shell: C:\arduino/hardware/tools/x86/bin C:\Users\Adynezu\AppData\Local\Temp\build5555366529857496895.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf COM2

COM PORT

Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/arduino/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh

CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.

Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

#!/bin/sh

Converted COM Port to tty port /dev/ttyS-1

echo "starting download script"

echo "Args to shell:" $*

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

# ARG 2: Elf File to download

# ARG 3: COM port to use.

#path contains \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#COM ports are not always setup to be addressed via COM for redirect.

#/dev/ttySx are present. Howwever, COMy -> /dev/ttySx where x = y - 1

com_port_arg=$3

com_port_id=${com_port_arg/COM/}

echo "COM PORT" $com_port_id

tty_port_id=/dev/ttyS$((com_port_id-1))

echo "Converted COM Port" $com_port_arg "to tty port" $tty_port_id

Deleting existing sketch on target

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch download" > $tty_port_id

C:\arduino/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 24: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

#Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\arduino/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 28: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

# Execute the target download command

#Download the file.

host_file_name=$2

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape --binary --overwrite $host_file_name <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\arduino/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 34: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

#mv the downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf

Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target

target_download_name="${host_file_name##*/}"

echo "Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target"

#$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "cp sketch /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv $target_download_name /sketch/sketch.elf; chmod +x /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\arduino/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 40: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

Is this telling something to you? And if you have other suggestions, I will gladly listen to them.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
          Intel_Raad

What do you mean by "it is under 10 (COM 2)."? It shows that you selected COM2 and its not working! Is COM2 or COM10?

• 2. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
            Adynezu

I read somewhere that it might be a problem if the COM is bigger than 10 (COM15 for example). I just wanted to accentuate that I made sure it was COM9 or less; in my case, COM2 (to be entirely understood: I have COM2 in both Device Manager and Arduino). Hope you understand, I didn't choose my words wisely last time!

• 3. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
              Intel_Raad

I am using COM6 and that converted to /dev/ttyS5 as shown below in the my log:

Converted COM Port COM6 to tty port /dev/ttyS5

I don't see that line in your case, I see the tty trying to use is /dev/ttyS-1, which means it pick it up your com port as zero COM0, and converted that to /dev/tty-1 by subtracting one from zero you end up with negative one, /dev/ttyS-1 is not valid port! If you are using COM2 then it should translate to /dev/ttyS1. Make sure there is a check mark in front on COM2 in the Arduino -> Tools -> Serial Port.

• 4. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                Adynezu

It is checked. I tried with COM8, same problem. COM6 is used, so can't do that one...

• 5. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                  Intel_Raad

Select COM8, try to upload your sketch, and send the Arduino log.

• 6. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                    Adynezu

Binary sketch size: 49,066 bytes (of a 262,144 byte maximum) - 18% used

cygwin warning:

starting download script

MS-DOS style path detected: C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh

Args to shell: C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/tools/x86/bin C:\Users\Adynezu\AppData\Local\Temp\build7489764223916260435.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf COM2

Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh

CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.

Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

COM PORT

#!/bin/sh

echo "starting download script"

Converted COM Port to tty port /dev/ttyS-1

echo "Args to shell:" $*

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

# ARG 2: Elf File to download

# ARG 3: COM port to use.

#path contains \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#COM ports are not always setup to be addressed via COM for redirect.

#/dev/ttySx are present. Howwever, COMy -> /dev/ttySx where x = y - 1

com_port_arg=$3

Deleting existing sketch on target

com_port_id=${com_port_arg/COM/}

echo "COM PORT" $com_port_id

tty_port_id=/dev/ttyS$((com_port_id-1))

echo "Converted COM Port" $com_port_arg "to tty port" $tty_port_id

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch download" > $tty_port_id

C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 24: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

#Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 28: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

# Execute the target download command

#Download the file.

host_file_name=$2

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape --binary --overwrite $host_file_name <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 34: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target

#mv the downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf

target_download_name="${host_file_name##*/}"

echo "Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target"

#$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "cp sketch /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv $target_download_name /sketch/sketch.elf; chmod +x /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 40: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

• 7. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                      Intel_Raad

The log still shows its not using the correct COM port, the last line from the log you sent above:

C:\arduino-1.5.3/hardware/arduino/x86/tools/izmir/clupload_win.sh: line 40: /dev/ttyS-1: Read-only file system

Shows its trying /dev/ttyS-1 which means COM0 not COM8. I suggest to reboot your computer, start Device manager, expand "Ports (COM & LPT), plug your USB and observe the COM port added, then start Ardunio IDE, and select that port.

• 8. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                        Adynezu

I got the same log. I think I need to try this with another laptop (or another OS) + try another galileo with my laptop. Do you have other suggestions?

• 9. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                          Intel_Raad

The only suggestion I have is to re-install Arduino 1.5.3, or try different computer.

• 10. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                            Adynezu

Just to be clear: you said "re-install Arduino", but I just downloaded the zip file from here Drivers , extracted, and run it. It is another way, or it was correct?

• 11. Re: Blinking problem on Intel Galileo
                              Intel_Raad

Download and unzip is correct, if you just downloaded it then that is fine.