2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 10:16 AM by Steve17

DG43NB BIOS bug numbering drives?

Steve17

I have the latest BIOS update, 0086.  If I plug in two hard drives, I'll call them A and B, into SATA ports 0 and 1, all is well.  XP and Win7 see them as drives 0 and 1 respectively.  But if I plug a third drive, I'll call it C, into SATA port 2, then drives B and C get swapped, as seen by XP and Win7.  That is, drive B shows up as drive 2 and drive C shows up as drive 1, in Disk Management.  It confuses ntldr also.  If I try to run an OS that's on drive B, ntldr can't find it.  I suppose that's because ntldr is looking on drive 1, but now that drive is drive 2.

Just to be clear, what happens is that drives A, B, and C, plugged in to SATA ports 0, 1, and 2 respectively, show up in Disk Management as drives 0, 2, and 1.

In all cases, the BIOS setup shows them correctly.  That is, the BIOS shows drives A, B and C as drives 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

I found a workaround.  If I plug drive C into SATA port 4 instead of port 2, then the OS sees them in the correct order.   That is the drives plugged into SATA ports 0, 1, and 4, show up as drives 0, 1, and 2, in Disk Management. 

• 2. Re: DG43NB BIOS bug numbering drives?
          Steve17

I would like to report this to Intel.  I guess there is an e-mail address for that.

I guess this is a trivial bug in the BIOS that escaped Intel's notice.  They probably don't test with more than 2 drives.  Although it could be considered trivial, it is bound to cause someone to pull his hair out. 

It's not just that the drives are not numbered the way you would expect. It's that drives that were numbered in the expected manner yesterday are numbered differently today.

P.S.  Apparently Microsoft has gotten tired of complaints because of this.  Although ntldr (XP loader) fails when the drive number changes, bootmgr (Win7 /Vista loader) does not.  It seems bootmgr is smart enough to look around the computer to see if it can find which drive has the desired OS.