5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 6:57 PM by bryantsc02

Updating firmware of Add-in Raid Controller on a non-Intel Motherboard

chris_guy

I am in the process of building myself a file server for my home and chose to get the Intel SASMF8I raid card. My disk space forced me to create a RAID-5 array with 3 out of the 5 disks I had planned on using for the array and then copying the contents of the other 2/5 of the drives to that array. I now wish to extend the array to include all 5 drives now that the data has been transferred to the array. However, using the RAID Web Console 2 utility to attempt to extend the array, I am not able to find the option to do so - though the option is clearly shown in the software user's guide for the card.

This leads me to believe I need to update the firmware for my Raid Controller (dated ~2007). The firmware update instructions state that to begin, the user must boot to the EFI shell to update the firmware. This however, is an issue because I have a Gigabyte motherboard and thus no built-in EFI shell. My question is: Can I boot to the EFI shell in any way without needing to get an intel motherboard, or is there a way to update the firmware without using the EFI shell?

Also, is it just the firmware that would cause issues related to extending an existing RAID array?

Thanks for reading my questions!

EDIT: Update instructions contained in the firmware readme

1. Unzip all of the files from the zip package onto USB key or CD, maintaining the directory structure.

2. Boot to the EFI shell
          - Press 'F2'  during POSt to enter BIOS Setup
          - Select Boot Manager -> EFI Shell

3. Change drive and directory location to where you unzipped the package by typing the following commands:
           fs0: <press Enter>    
           cd <SAS FW directory name>

Note:  You can always get a list of files and sub-directories in the current directory by typing 'dir' command.
                Instead of 'fs0: you may need to type 'fs1:' or 'fs2:', etc. depending on your drive configuration and removable media type.

4. Type in the name of the batch file that matches your board model and press <Enter>:

[......]
         mf8iupd.nsh    SASMF8I

[......]

5. Reboot and confirm the OpROM/FW versions (depending on mode) and drives listed.